× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 doesn't see Netgear ProSwitch GS110TP in Device Manager

Shikwan68
Star

XR700 doesn't see Netgear ProSwitch GS110TP in Device Manager

I have LAG setup between the XR700 and the GS110TP. The router sees all wired devices connected to the GS110TP. The GS110TP has a static IP.

The GS110TP's IP doesn't show up in the XR700's Device Manager page. Any reason why?

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you see the individual devices connected to the switch in the device manager? If so then that's normal behaviour.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you see the individual devices connected to the switch in the device manager? If so then that's normal behaviour.
Message 2 of 8
Shikwan68
Star

Yes but I thought it was strange as the switch always showed up in the QoS list of my old Netgear R7800 router.

Message 3 of 8
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

DumaOS Device Manager works in a different way, so it's not possible currently.

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@Netduma_Jack wrote:

DumaOS Device Manager works in a different way, so it's not possible currently.

This sounds more than poor, sorry.

Hm you want to tell me that a device (GS110TP) with a MAC address (and even an IP address) connected to a port on the DumaOS router switch port can remain stealth to the DUmaOS Device Manager under some conditions? 

What are these conditions? E.g. no traffic to the router/default gateway and/or the Internet?

You know what comes into my mind? It starts with a "j" ... sorry saying.

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

A switch basically provides more LAN ports so that more devices can have a wired connection. Having the ability to see all these devices individually on the interface and then add them to the Geo-Filter QoS etc is great. Having the switch added then adds a share to QoS that's unneeded or they may limit this bandwidth to nothing, users may add to the Geo-Filter and then filter everything connected to it unnecessarily.

The choice to not show this as a device makes more sense to me in terms of usability. Now I would agree with you if you said that having a new branch for a switch would be a great idea.

If you have another usecase for why it should be an individual device, I'd be happy to hear it. We're always striving to improve and hearing user feedback helps with that, sometimes users have thoughts we hadn't thought of!
Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

My opinion is clear: Any device with a MAC and IP must show up as a connected device. If all need to be covered by the funky features or not is a different story.

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
A switch basically provides more LAN ports so that more devices can have a wired connection. Having the ability to see all these devices individually on the interface and then add them to the Geo-Filter QoS etc is great.

Yes, that's the way it has to be - andit's the way it is implemented today, isn't it?

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Having the switch added then adds a share to QoS that's unneeded or they may limit this bandwidth to nothing, users may add to the Geo-Filter and then filter everything connected to it unnecessarily.

Sorry, with all due respect: Back to networking school, Ethernet, lesson 1, Layer 0..2 ... the statement is nonsense. The router does deal with the MAC and IP - which are fully transparent on the switch. Even if throttling down (or even denying access to the Internet for the switch) the switch completely, the devices connected to the switch continue to be visible, have access, everything.

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
The choice to not show this as a device makes more sense to me in terms of usability. Now I would agree with you if you said that having a new branch for a switch would be a great idea.

Leaving away the extension of QoS to the switch level - that is what I had expected when Netgear has launched the Nighthawk and Nighthawk Pro Gaming switches - the Netgear customers, Netgear customers coming from other vendors, experienced networking people, ... all expect to see ALL connected devices - here in the DumaOS Device Manager, and finally also in the Nighthawk App Attached Device list.

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
If you have another usecase for why it should be an individual device, I'd be happy to hear it. We're always striving to improve and hearing user feedback helps with that, sometimes users have thoughts we hadn't thought of!

Already explained above. It's a device on the network, it has to be shown.  This is not a use case - this is basic networking and what a normal human expect from a view of his network. Basta. (that's Italian ...) - otherwise j**k.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7