× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 geofilter not working

xTEKNEKx
Tutor

XR700 geofilter not working

Just bought the XR700, had it for about a week now, love how much you can customize everything, but the main reason I bought it, (Geofilter)seems it’s not working. I have my Xbox one set to the geofilter, it’s also set in high priority settings. The geofilter is set to a good area of California and part of Oregon, filtering mode enabled, strict mode enabled, ping set to 70ms. I play Apex legends and Modern Warfare, when I get into a game it connects me to a server outside of my geofilter. Like way outside, like Far East costs. I must be doing something wrong? Any help? Please!
Message 1 of 18
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I'm glad you're (mostly) enjoying your XR700!

So what does the map look like when you get connected to a distant server? Which icon is displayed on the map?

Message 2 of 18
xTEKNEKx
Tutor

It’s could be a dedicated or peer I connect to both from Texas to Far East cost. I know I’m connected to that server because It’s the biggest icon server during the game. I’ve also use auto ping and sure enough it’s the server.
Message 3 of 18
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Would it be a hassle for you to provide a screenshot?

Message 4 of 18
xTEKNEKx
Tutor

It’s says I can’t because it does not have a valid extension?
Message 5 of 18
xTEKNEKx
Tutor

Message 6 of 18
xTEKNEKx
Tutor

So I’ve removed my Xbox from geofilter, hard shutdown my Xbox, flush the cloud, reboot my router, add my Xbox back to geofilter, Filtering and strict mode enabled, set the location(Hawaii) set profile(call of duty) geofilter expands to California, powered up my console, Started my game, it still puts me in servers outside of my geofilter? I don’t get it. I must be doing something wrong? Also the home server with the solid white circle around the square says it’s in Europe wtf! Wouldn’t it be in California or at least the USA. I field out the small form regarding this issue, giving the servers ID and my location. Idk man I feel like the $500 router might not be worth the money or stress trying to optimize the perfect connection for gaming. Any help NETGEAR team?
Message 7 of 18
xTEKNEKx
Tutor

I guess that’s a NO! I’m returning it, before my 30 day return policy is up.
Message 8 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry for the late response, due to the holidays etc. The reason you are seeing those servers outside your radius is because they are being caught by Ping Assist. Ping Assist allows you to connect to games that are under your ping limit even though they may be outside your radius so you never miss the chance for a good game. You said you've set this to 70ms so that is why you are getting those servers. I would imagine that if you ping these servers that they will be under your limit. Also the European server with the white circle is an authentication server required for online play so we have whitelisted this so you don't run into issues. Everything is working as intended as far as I can see. If you would like some more information on how the router works then you can take a look at our optimal settings guide/knowledge base here: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646 also each panel on the router has a ? icon that will provide you with more information on the features within the panel should you need it.
Message 9 of 18
xTEKNEKx
Tutor

It would be nice if it was connecting me to a server outside of my geofilter, if...it was giving a ping assist of 70ms, but when I ping it, it’s sometimes 135-175ms. I’ve tried to play it, in many occasions, but once again, it’s unbearable. I’ve tried to work with it, but it’s just to frustrating. I had high hopes for your router, I guess some win and some don’t. I’m just going to return it and buy me a 4K T.V.
Message 10 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have fast search ticked? If so that can override the PA value in the interest of getting a game fast but this can result in games higher than your limit. If you untick that it should adhere to your limit more. Alternatively turn PA to 0 and then you'll get much closer/lower ping games.
Message 11 of 18
Brado78
Star

So have been successfully using .12 for a while now on the XR700 with no issues smoothest my connection has ever been and works great with the SX10 switch. So after having issues upgrading to the firmware .20 thanks to Robs help with a work around regarding a issue to do with the Nintendo switch. Also discovering causes same issue with Nintendo Wii.

However used it for a couple of days everything seemed fine however noticed the geo filter was not working correctly and would let other players from USA joint my lobby. But was no indication this was happening due to no symbols appearing.

So have downgraded back to firmware version.12 on XR700.

Just thought I better let you know Fraser. 🙂👍
Message 12 of 18
Brado78
Star

So have been successfully using .12 for a while now on the XR700 with no issues smoothest my connection has ever been and works great with the SX10 switch. So after having issues upgrading to the firmware .20 thanks to Robs help with a work around regarding a issue to do with the Nintendo switch. Also discovering causes same issue with Nintendo Wii.

However used it for a couple of days everything seemed fine however also notice the geo filter was not working correctly and would let other players from USA joint my lobby. But was no indication this was happening due to no symbols appearing.

So have downgraded back to firmware version.12 on XR700.

Just thought I better let you know Fraser. 🙂👍
Message 13 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for letting us know, glad to hear it's mostly working well for you. The getting games outside your radius is likely due to Ping Assist which is normal behaviour if it finds something under your ping limit.
Message 14 of 18
Brado78
Star

Hi Fraser,
Could be a ping assist issues however unsure as never use ping assist. Just love using the geo filter being based in Australia. 😉

Why I downgraded that way can sit back and enjoy my gaming. 🙂👍
Message 15 of 18
yurarnd
Tutor

the same problem and on my xr300 everything is correctly configured but connects outside the circle, although it should not do this, the latest firmware is installed, but on the stock firmware the geofilter works normally, I had xr500 before there was no such problem. p.s. ping assistant is disabled i play on ps4 pro

Message 16 of 18
yurarnd
Tutor

the same problem and on my xr300 everything is correctly configured but connects outside the circle, although it should not do this , the latest firmware is installed , but on the stock firmware the geofilter works normally, I had xr500 before there was no such problem

Message 17 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@yurarnd as you've made a separate topic for your issue lets keep it in there so it's easy to track.
Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7