× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 lost WiFi after FW upgrade to R700-V1.0.1.50-0626 from NetDuma

user12a
Star

XR700 lost WiFi after FW upgrade to R700-V1.0.1.50-0626 from NetDuma

After upgrading to the latest V1.01.1.50-0626 bin, I lost all the WiFi and could not turn them back on.

I have tried simple reset, factory reset, downgrading to an older bin, and reloading bin through TFTP, toggling wifi off/on switch at the advanced wireless setting, tried the wireless on/off button.  None worked to bring WiFi back.

The 2.4/5/60 wifi lights immediately turn on after power button is pushed on, with the 2.4/5 lights dimmer at about 50% intensity.  They stay same throughout and the antenna red lights turn on after booting.  The WiFi lights coming immediately on is abnormal.   System Info tells all WiFi are disabled.

I have spent some time but could not get the WiFi to come back on.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thx.

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/51612-new-xr700-beta-firmware-33363/?do=findComment&comment=378963

Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've responded to you in the topic, just so you know we primarily respond here as well so you may not get any further answers unfortunately - it is also a community forum so you won't get an official Netgear employee commenting.
Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

And by the looks of it most troublshooting has been exhausted. 

You'll need to contact NG support to see if they will help any. 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

I can only tell you that if it's out of warranty, your problaby out of luck as well. 

I recommend if you want keep using the XR700, do as the other user suggested and disable the radios on the router and install something better. I've use a Orbi and MK MESH systems in AP mode connected to my XR700 when I had it online. Works great. 

Good Luck. 

Message 3 of 6
user12a
Star

Some last remarks:

Flashing in some earlier dd-wrt bin revived the Wifi.  The 2.4G/60 came back with the 2.4G completely normal and very stable with observed full RF power.  There are some known FW issue that did not turn on the 5G.  Recent bins don’t load properly either, as they are betas being worked on. 
This at least demonstrated that no general HW issue and the 2.4G is good and 60 turns on.  I have also verified that there is no issue in the ART of the mtd.  But will have to wait for a new good dd-wrt bin when it comes out.     

Now flashing back to an earlier NG/Duma FW showed in the Dashboard GUI that all WiFi’s are enabled, but only the 5G radio was actually detected with temperature shown properly.  The 5G also has very low non useable RF power level but it is there, seen in WiFi Analyzer, not very stable, probably not loading the calibration properly.  2.4G Atheros controller was not loaded but the 5G was under Duma. 

I have concluded that there is no HW issue in my unit as all radios are not detected but definitely there is something wrong with the NG/Duma FW that caused the corruption.  Will have to set this aside.

Don’t update to any NG or Duma FW unless you are under warranty or NG is not responsible for their new released FW on your out of warranty unit, as they only would recommend you to buy a new unit.  Not.  I haven’t found another equivalent one with SFP+ and 7 ports with 2 aggregated ports that I all used, but too many issues with this XR700/R9000.  NG has good designs but lacking in product reliability and support, from my multiple experiences. 

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I updated my Xr700 to the NG stock v.50 then ND beta. All worked well when I had it online. 

Possible something may have gone bad prior to updating or the update that you did may have done something. 

I hope you  were able to get NG stock FW back on it. There are known issues with loading some DD-WRT on XR routers and not being able to get NG stock FW back on. Something about WRT changes the NVRAM partitions around. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to try and see if this recovers the wifi radios:

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/51612-new-xr700-beta-firmware-33363/?do=findComment&comment=385598

@user12a wrote:

After upgrading to the latest V1.01.1.50-0626 bin, I lost all the WiFi and could not turn them back on.

I have tried simple reset, factory reset, downgrading to an older bin, and reloading bin through TFTP, toggling wifi off/on switch at the advanced wireless setting, tried the wireless on/off button.  None worked to bring WiFi back.

The 2.4/5/60 wifi lights immediately turn on after power button is pushed on, with the 2.4/5 lights dimmer at about 50% intensity.  They stay same throughout and the antenna red lights turn on after booting.  The WiFi lights coming immediately on is abnormal.   System Info tells all WiFi are disabled.

I have spent some time but could not get the WiFi to come back on.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thx.

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/51612-new-xr700-beta-firmware-33363/?do=findComment&comment=378963

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7