× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR700 not offering full gigabit internet since modem upgrade

Hiryuuka
Initiate

XR700 not offering full gigabit internet since modem upgrade

Hi,

We've had a nighthawk XR700 for about 4 years now, and it's never really given us trouble.

Last week, we replaced our modem with a newer model, and ever since then we've had difficulty getting a decent connection. Prior to the new modem, it would connect at decent speeds (up to 350-ish for the 5G band, and our modem was limited at 500).We had a technician from our ISP visit today to fix the modem, which also had issues, but is now functional, so I think it's very unlikely that it's still a problem with the modem.

The 5G band doesn't exceed 120 mbps, and the 2.4G band barely even reaches 30. I've performed a factory reset of the router twice, disabled Ethernet port aggregation & re-enabled it, toggled everything I could find on and off and it just won't go past 120. When I do a speedtest on fast.com, it goes to 890 for a split second when you start the test, but then immediately drops down to 20-50 & builds back up to 80-120.

I've been trying to fix this for a week now and I'm at my wit's end, I've half a mind to just toss the entire thing out.

If you need any documentation or screenshots, I'd be happy to provide whatever is necessary.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Hiryuuka
Initiate

Re: XR700 not offering full gigabit internet since modem upgrade

Hi, I'm almost embarassed to say this but it turns out it was a combination of my phone being old & my VPN being active. It's resolved now! Thank you so much for your help

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What speeds do you get via ethernet? Sounds like you have Smart Connect disabled for WiFi is that correct? What firmware version are you on currently?
Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

@Hiryuuka wrote:

Hi,

We've had a nighthawk XR700 for about 4 years now, and it's never really given us trouble.

Last week, we replaced our modem with a newer model, and ever since then we've had difficulty getting a decent connection. Prior to the new modem, it would connect at decent speeds (up to 350-ish for the 5G band, and our modem was limited at 500).We had a technician from our ISP visit today to fix the modem, which also had issues, but is now functional, so I think it's very unlikely that it's still a problem with the modem.

The 5G band doesn't exceed 120 mbps, and the 2.4G band barely even reaches 30. I've performed a factory reset of the router twice, disabled Ethernet port aggregation & re-enabled it, toggled everything I could find on and off and it just won't go past 120. When I do a speedtest on fast.com, it goes to 890 for a split second when you start the test, but then immediately drops down to 20-50 & builds back up to 80-120.

I've been trying to fix this for a week now and I'm at my wit's end, I've half a mind to just toss the entire thing out.

If you need any documentation or screenshots, I'd be happy to provide whatever is necessary.

Message 3 of 5
Hiryuuka
Initiate

Hi, I'm almost embarassed to say this but it turns out it was a combination of my phone being old & my VPN being active. It's resolved now! Thank you so much for your help
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7