× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 or AX8?

Link8900
Tutor

XR700 or AX8?

Time to upgrade my router since my ISP just got 1gb Internet. I cannot decide between the XR700 or AX8? The XR for gaming purposes or the AX for WIFI 6? Any opinions?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

I would give wifi 6 a few years. No rush in doing anything with AX. It took AC several years to be come the norm and get into consumer devices. It's still not THEE norm. There still plenty of N and AC devices out there now and there still being used. 160Mhz hasn't really kicked off either. You'll be fine with the XR. If later on down the road you want new WIFI 6, and theres clients to support it, you could just add WIFI 6 to the XR as a external wifi AP. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have anything thats AX wifi supporting? If you don't then maybe go for the XR. Or you could future proof with the AX8.  You won't have any gaming features on the AX router like the XR routers. 

Message 2 of 8
Link8900
Tutor

I don't have anything at the moment but future proofing is what I had in mind. I'm probably going to go with the XR700 for the gaming features but my fear is i'll have to upgrade in a few years or less once WIFI 6 really kicks off.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would give wifi 6 a few years. No rush in doing anything with AX. It took AC several years to be come the norm and get into consumer devices. It's still not THEE norm. There still plenty of N and AC devices out there now and there still being used. 160Mhz hasn't really kicked off either. You'll be fine with the XR. If later on down the road you want new WIFI 6, and theres clients to support it, you could just add WIFI 6 to the XR as a external wifi AP. 

Message 4 of 8
Link8900
Tutor

Thanks a lot for the info. definitely good points. I'll get the XR!

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 8
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

If you do go with the XR700 then these guides can be helpful in getting an optimal setup on DumaOS. They're very easy to follow:

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7