× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 "This device is blocked by Access Control in the router" for one iPhone out of o

Scepter2020
Aspirant

XR700 "This device is blocked by Access Control in the router" for one iPhone out of over 60 devices

My DHCP basically just blew up and on one thread, someone from support said to upgrade to the hotfix to XR700 V1.0.1.24  That seemed to fix everything.  However, now out of over 60 devices from various makers (Apple, Google, Amazon, Win, etc) I have one iPhone XR, running iOS 13.5.1 that is having issues.  We got it to connect to the network, but at browsing, it gets a black screen "This device is blocked by Access Control in the router" branded by Netgear in the lower right.

I've searched the forums and there are some general troubleshooting saying to go to Security and Access Control and disable it.  However this XR700 does't seem to have anything even close to these settings.

No issues with any other iPhone or computers.   My wife and I are both in IT and we are stuck after troubleshooting for two days.  HELP!

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Scepter2020
Aspirant

Re: XR700 "This device is blocked by Access Control in the router" for one iPhone out of o

I stumbled across the "solve" on a stroke of luck.  There's some coding fixes that needs done for sure.   It's some bizarre problem with the Nighthawk iPhone app.  

On both the web interface and the app the devices show online.  Disabling, deleting, etc, doesn't do anything to remediate.   Here's what works:

Open the iPhone Nighthawk app, disable the device in the iphone app with the toggle, wait a minute, then re-enable the device in the iphone app.  It appears to me there must be some messed up backend code where the disable in the iphone app does stop internet access, but it doesn't disable in the router device manager.  So there must be some hidden attributes that are set via the iphone app that you can't access via the router web interface.    

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
Scepter2020
Aspirant

Since my last post, it's become a widespread issue.  Now virtually everything is dropping and reconnecting at random rates.  Linux, iOS, MacOS, and various smart devices.  I've filed a support case as it's still under warranty.  Also I bit the bullet and did a complete factory reset. Same issue but almost seems worse now.  Downgraded back to .20 latest official release and still no luck.  Any ideas appreciated.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 2 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That is really odd as you say because that feature is not available. Is there anything enabled in block sites or services? In Internet Setup switch to Static and if possible give your devices reserved IPs in LAN Settings.
Message 3 of 9
Scepter2020
Aspirant

Totally odd. I got it stable but had to do my last resort. First a factor reset. Didn’t help. Then a downgrade to the .20 official bios. Another factory reset and I’m back up. I screen capped all my device manes and Macs so it only took an hour to rename all my devices. Still this is a horrible workout to have to factory reset in less than a year. They need to fix it. $400 routers shouldnt need that.
Message 4 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that but glad you got it working. Make sure you sign up for the beta of the next version as it should be more stable: http://www.netgearinnovation.com/dumaos-beta/index.html
Message 5 of 9
Scepter2020
Aspirant

Problem is back showing "The device is blocked by access control in the router".   An iPhone, a Roku, a Windows 10 system and an LG TV.   Doesn anybody know where in Netgear XR700 you fix this?  I still can't find any access control settings.

In the Device Manager, I show the devices, they have IP addresses and show online but are not getting through this access control message.   Where do you go for access control?

Message 6 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Message 7 of 9
Scepter2020
Aspirant

I stumbled across the "solve" on a stroke of luck.  There's some coding fixes that needs done for sure.   It's some bizarre problem with the Nighthawk iPhone app.  

On both the web interface and the app the devices show online.  Disabling, deleting, etc, doesn't do anything to remediate.   Here's what works:

Open the iPhone Nighthawk app, disable the device in the iphone app with the toggle, wait a minute, then re-enable the device in the iphone app.  It appears to me there must be some messed up backend code where the disable in the iphone app does stop internet access, but it doesn't disable in the router device manager.  So there must be some hidden attributes that are set via the iphone app that you can't access via the router web interface.    

Message 8 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for letting us know, we'll pass that on to Netgear
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7