× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 wired connections failed

kratch
Aspirant

XR700 wired connections failed

I have been using a R7000 router for several years and just upgraded to a XR700 2 days ago.

Setup was easy, dumaOS is awesome, and I got open NAT on 4 XBOX one consoles!

Well, today all wired ports stopped working.

I have 4 XBONEs wired to ports 1-4 (all in the Halo Room with the router), a 5 port switch connected to my surveillance system and an XBOX 360 on port 5, and an 8 port switch connected to VoIP box and 4 computers on port 6. There are various wireless devices as well.

Today all wired connections just stopped working. Wireless connections were NOT affected.

I suspected a cable and/or switch, but I tried:

rebooting modem, switches, and router - no go

swapping ports on router - no go

disconnecting cables on at a time from router and all switches - no go

connecting xbox to one port with all other net cables disconnected - no go

There is a test which can eliminate my entire wired network as a potential fault: disconnecting new XR700 and connecting old R7000 and moving 2 XBOX one consoles to 5 port switch. Well, I did that and lo and behold everything works great again.

Does anyone have any experience with wired network issues with the XR700? I just bragged on facebook how cool my new setup is and then the shiny new $500 router takes a crap. I'd really like to get it working instead of having to return it.

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Ah, sorry to hear this. It's worth trying thisL

Then if that doesn't fix it, you'll need to seek a replacement I'm sorry to say. NETGEAR are good at getting replacements out very quickly: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 2 of 9
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

I don't see the issue at my side. Maybe you can submit a ticket to NTGR support team for further remote debugging. (by the way, which FW version did you use now? v1.0.1.2 or v1.0.0.20?)

Message 3 of 9
dmiller68
Aspirant

I have the same problem it appears to be DHCP issue. Every few days none of my wired devices can get addresses. Seems like a bug in there code somewhere. I was coming on here to see if there was a work around other then rebooting it which is what I do right now. I have 15-20 devices hardwired and another 20+ on wireless. I wonder if they are not doing large volume testing. 

Message 4 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If it's DHCP, set static IP addresses for your wired devices, does that then resolve the issue?
Message 5 of 9
dmiller68
Aspirant

Sure that would be an option. Perfer them to fix it.

Message 6 of 9
kratch
Aspirant

Customer support said that this had happened 'several' times and asked if I would try some beta firmware. I told them I didn't pay $500 to beta test an unfinished product. They said they would replace it, but wanted my credit card info to send a replacement. I said forget it and returned it to amazon. What happened to netgear? They used to be good.

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

The credit card information was for a cross shipping of a new router to you. If you failed to return either router back to NG, then they would have only chanrged you then. This is normal for NG and other router Mfr with dealing with RMA and cross shipping products. 

Good Luck. 

@kratch wrote:

Customer support said that this had happened 'several' times and asked if I would try some beta firmware. I told them I didn't pay $500 to beta test an unfinished product. They said they would replace it, but wanted my credit card info to send a replacement. I said forget it and returned it to amazon. What happened to netgear? They used to be good.

Message 8 of 9
kratch
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The credit card information was for a cross shipping of a new router to you. If you failed to return either router back to NG, then they would have only chanrged you then. This is normal for NG and other router Mfr with dealing with RMA and cross shipping products. 

I have never experienced this 'normal' business practice personally or professionally, and I have dealt with cross shipping several times. I guess I'm just accustomed to better customer service. I still find it difficult to accept that netgear thinks I might try to get a free broken router by not returning it. I find it even more difficult to believe that their flagship gaming router has unreliable firmware and that they are using paying customers to finish developing their unfinished product. I have no doubt that the XR700 will perform  spectacularly when the bugs are worked out, but I just can't support the practice of using customers as beta testers.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7