× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XRM570 Nighthawk Connectivity to ISP modem

ashdave
Follower

XRM570 Nighthawk Connectivity to ISP modem

Hi All. I just bought one of these (am based in UK). My wall box from where I receive broadband/internet does not have an ethernet port. The internet comes in via a phone line, to an ISP provided modem. From that modem I have attached an ethernet cable to the Nighthawk router.  On my wifi networks I see Netgear 28 and can connect to it but i get no internet. To get the internet I still have to connect to my ISPs network, which is VodaphoneXXXXXX.  Is this correct?

And when I plug in the Nighthawk extender, what network should that connect to? Netgear or Vodafone?

thank you

Ashok

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: XRM570 Nighthawk Connectivity to ISP modem

What ISP provided modem do you have? if its a modem/router combo device you have a couple options. 

1. put the combo device in modem only/passthrough mode. Contact your isp with help with that. 

2. put the netgear in access point mode. it disabled the routing functions of the netgear

3. put the netgears IP address into the isp supplied devices dmz. 

This prevents you from running a double nat. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

The extender should be connected to the netgear for the best perforance. 

Message 2 of 3
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XRM570 Nighthawk Connectivity to ISP modem

I believe for Vodafone that you require PPPoE. So enter as much of these as you can in Internet Setup and use 'Always Connect' Username: vodafone@vodafone.ie
Password: broadband
Encapsulation: PPPoE
Multiplexing: LLC
VPI: 8
VCI: 35

If that doesn't work you may need to contact Vodafone for the PPPoE details - if required to use a third party router.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7