× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XRM570 iPhone disconnects from WiFi.

Carnaged
Tutor

XRM570 iPhone disconnects from WiFi.

Hi,

I have noticed that sometimes even when my iPhone has good signal strength, between 2/3 bars it will randomly drop the WiFi and go to 4G. I have the 2.4ghz and 5ghz seperat3d and usually keep my phone on the 5ghz. In my bathroom which is tiled, I will have between 2-3 bars and full speed but all of a sudden my phone will say 4g.

Today it was connecting and reconnecting and saying no connection to the internet, once I was back in the hallway it was fine. The EX7700 is in the room right next to the bathroom but the phone only seems to connect to it if you turn off the WiFi and then back on it never actively seems to switch to it. 

I have logged into the 2.4ghz WiFi network on my phone as well now so if it drops the 5ghz in the bathroom then the 2.4ghz should be fine. 

it just surprises me that even with decent signal strength the phone just drops the 5ghz?

Model: XRM570|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router and Mesh WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XRM570 iPhone disconnects from WiFi.

5GHz does have less penetration through walls so that can happen, you shouldn't notice it on 2.4GHz. Should also help to use a WiFi analyzer and find the least congested channel to put the 5GHz on.
Message 2 of 7
Carnaged
Tutor

Hi and thanks for the reply,

My 5ghz is on 105 DFS and there isn't anyone else on that frequency, should the iPhone change to the EX7700 or would it have to be really low signal to move itself? I have noticed if I am near and the phone screen sleeps when it wakes it will move to the EX7700.

Im assuming if I used smart connect it would probably just go to 2.4 rather than switching to the EX7700.

Message 3 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay using a DFS channel isn't great and could be the issue. Go to the next best non DFS channel and see if that works. It should switch to the next strongest signal that it can.
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the XR router and the XR7700 extender. 30 feet or more is recommended between the XR router and EX extender. 

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Okay using a DFS channel isn't great and could be the issue. Go to the next best non DFS channel and see if that works. It should switch to the next strongest signal that it can.

Message 5 of 7
Carnaged
Tutor

The router is on the 1st floor of my house in the right hand corner of the lounge and the EX7700 is on the 2nd floor in the furthest room to the left of the house. They aren't close to each other but I'm not sure on the exact distance. 

If I change the R7800 to non DFS will the EX7700 use it as wouldn't it be counter productive for them both to be on the same channel. 

Message 6 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If the EX is in extender mode then yes it should do but you can likely change this on the EX interface.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7