× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xbox One X upload issues

Link8900
Tutor

Xbox One X upload issues

Hello,

I have posted on the Xbox forums about this but I still cannot resolve this issue and wondering if anyone has advice.

All of a sudden over the past few days my upload speed JUST on my Xbox will not go over 1.5-2.0MBPS. I usually get anywhere between 15-20BMPS upload on the Xbox. I have reset the Xbox, reset the  XR500 router, reset the modem, cleared the persistent storage etc etc. My PC/Iphone/PS4 are getting perfectly fine upload speeds. This is just the Xbox.

MY ISP is COX 1gb 1000 down 35 up with unlimited data

IPV4 & IPV6 are enabled and my NAT is OPEN. I do not have geo filtering enabled. 

WIRED connection but I get the same result if I go wireless and ive tried different CAT 7-8 cables.

I don't think the issue is with the XR500 being that my PS4 and other systems upload are just fine but I am at a loss on what to do.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Is the xbox wire connected? 

If other devices are are working well and it's just the xbox, then possibly the xbox is the problem.

Besure to disable Instant ON on the xbox. This is known to cause problems. 

Message 2 of 12
Link8900
Tutor

Thank you for the reply.

I use the ARIS Sb8200. I've done some research and it seems like multiple people are having the same issue just with Xbox. I even directly connected the xbox to the modem with the same poor upload results. I guess I will have to see what Xbox has to say.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, if you directly connected it to the mode and seeing same issue, thats a console issue. 

Good luck. 

Message 4 of 12
Zirkawn
Aspirant

I have literally the exact same setup as you, and I get the same poor upload results. It has to be an xbox issue because when I play on ps4 my upload speeds are what I paid for.  I also have the same provider as you.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact MS support about this and let them know. 

Let us know if you find out any information from MS.

@Zirkawn wrote:

I have literally the exact same setup as you, and I get the same poor upload results. It has to be an xbox issue because when I play on ps4 my upload speeds are what I paid for.  I also have the same provider as you.

Message 6 of 12
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

One thing to keep in mind is the Xbox speedtest is a little unreliable, so the Xbox might be fine.

Also, for what it's worth, you only need about 1mps to play games, so the lower speeds you're seeing on the test shouldn't impact your gaming.

Message 7 of 12
Link8900
Tutor

Well after some research I found out that the issue is with COX ISP. They recently started blocking a port that Xbox requires for fast upload. This has been affecting NUMEROUS people with COX. I physically took my Xbox to a friend's house who has Century Link and immediately got 300+ upload on the xbox speed test. Let's just say if COX doesn't fix this ASAP then im gone. I stream my gameplay on Mixer/Twitch so 1.9 upload is not going to cut it.

Message 8 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Fantastic you found the cause, thanks for the update. What was the port they've blocked?
Message 9 of 12
Link8900
Tutor

Xbox requires 7 ports to be open. Cox has closed off port #80 which is one of 7 required for xbox live to run at 100%. It’s closed for residential but can be open for businesses. I've also been told it's a result of net neutrality nonsense.

Message 10 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That closed 80?! That is the general internet port used for websites etc and general internet activities, that's ludicrous.
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya port 80 is a internet common port thats is required for most if not all internet access. Residential and Business.

Someone at COX isn't doing there job right. Smiley Mad

@Link8900 wrote:

Xbox requires 7 ports to be open. Cox has closed off port #80 which is one of 7 required for xbox live to run at 100%. It’s closed for residential but can be open for businesses. I've also been told it's a result of net neutrality nonsense.

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7