× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xr 500 slow internet speeds when a few devices connect

PhillyEagles44
Aspirant

Xr 500 slow internet speeds when a few devices connect

So I recently upgraded from a AC 1750 router to my new XR 500 Nighthawk. I pay for 400 mbps internet and when I run a speed test I usually get around 340-320 mbps. Now I live in a house with a couple of buddies and we each have a smart tv and a couple tablets and some pc’s in the house. When we are all home and try and each do our own thing aka some guys watching Netflix, I usually am on my pc watching twitch, one buddy will be on Xbox and our internet completely tanks. The twitch streams start lagging, Netflix starts buffering, Xbox has long wait times. When I had the Ac 1750 router this was never a issue. Now that I am using the XR500 it’s become a nightly issue. I thought this would be a some what of a improvement but it hasn’t been so far. I’ve tried to search the threads for someone with a similar post But haven’t seen any. I have disabled the anti buffer in Qos page with no help. And am honestly lost at what to do next any help would be greatly appreciated
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the XR connected to - a modem/router combo or just a modem? If the former, are there devices connected to that also? As I would recommend ALL devices are connected to the XR. Then I would recommend you re-enable QoS, make sure you've put the correct speeds in Bandwidth Settings. Then use 'Always' for Anti-Bufferbloat with 70% set for both download and upload. See how you get on then.
Message 2 of 6
PhillyEagles44
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply, and yes it’s connected to just a modem, and there is only my house phone line connected to modem besides the XR, and two things (my pc and one smart tv) are hard wired to the XR thru cat 6 cable, and I used to have the anti buffer on but it seemed like it was much worse with it on then with it off, but I will for sure give it a shot
Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do give it a go as that feature was designed to combat the very situation you've described.
Message 4 of 6
PhillyEagles44
Aspirant

The last time i had it turned on it seemed to make my issue worse. I will give it a try now as i am home now, also one other thing i am having a issue with is the router kicks people off the wifi and makes you re-connect 5-10 times a day (atleast what my buddy told me)

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is this just for wireless devices or wired devices as well? Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channels in your area and change to those, see if that helps.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7