× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr1000 Download/Upload speeds

Jaddjitsu
Tutor

Xr1000 Download/Upload speeds

So i'm running the latest firmware on the xr1000.  I have done the resets, I have a Cat7 cable from modem to router.  When I run speed test on ookla after my router has been restarted I get 947 or so on Download, 946 or so on upload.   After about 15 minutes or so I re-run speed test and my Download speed drops off to around 850 to 900 and my upload drops down to 165 or 150.   QOS is disabled.  No Congestion control.   It is the same on multiple PCS on my network.  I see the same drop.   If i'm hooked directly to my modem I get my full speeds up and down.   I'm on fiber 1gb connection up and down.   Been trying to figure this out for a couple of weeks.

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
Jaddjitsu
Tutor

Re: Xr1000 Download/Upload speeds

So the issue ended up being with my isp.  They had recently moved my modem onto a different server thus causing the issues i was having. They gave me a new modem and put me on my old server i was originally on and now its working like a champ.. Thank you for the advice and help.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 19

All Replies
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Do you know if you use PPPoE, VLAN or DHCP identifiers in order to get connected to the internet?

Message 2 of 19
Jaddjitsu
Tutor

DHCP

Message 3 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How have you disabled QoS exactly by setting Congestion Control to Never or disabling it fully from the Congestion Control 3 horizontal line menu top left of the panel?
Message 4 of 19
Jaddjitsu
Tutor

I have done it both ways, with same results. 

Jaddjitsu_2-1674748247206.png

Jaddjitsu_3-1674748279163.png

Message 5 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the model of your modem? Are ALL devices connected to the XR?
Message 6 of 19
Jaddjitsu
Tutor

yes all devices are connected to xr that i'm running speed test on. The ONT is a Calix 844g-1. Also the modem is in bridged mode, that had to be done on the providers end, to keep from being double NAT

Message 7 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It looks like you haven't set your expected speeds in Bandwidth settings, for example you have download set to 685. If you set these, do your speeds still drop?
Message 8 of 19
Jaddjitsu
Tutor

yeah i have set them at 1000 on both, and the end result is the same,  I have also changed the cables from modem to router and router to pc and the speed will pick back up to normal but after 15 to 30 minutes it will fall off.  It affects the upload way more than download. 

Message 9 of 19
Jaddjitsu
Tutor

20230126_105208[600].jpg

Message 10 of 19
Jaddjitsu
Tutor

So all i did was change out the network cable from modem to the xr1000 and the speeds go back to normal.  Then as you see above as i speed test then the upload goes down drastically for some unknown reason.  

Message 11 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is there an increase in network activity from other devices when the slowdowns occur?
Message 12 of 19
Jaddjitsu
Tutor

No, none at all!  Only thing i have connected when im trouble shooting this is a single pc to the router and router connected to modem.  I have tried it with a different pc with same results on the speed test.  IF i take router out of the equation then i do not ever get a drop in speeds.

Message 13 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have Armor enabled by any chance?
Message 14 of 19
Jaddjitsu
Tutor

no I do not.  I was able to see this finally reproduced only hooked to my modem though.  So I have contacted ISP to look into it. 

Message 15 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Keep us posted!
Message 16 of 19
Jaddjitsu
Tutor

So the issue ended up being with my isp.  They had recently moved my modem onto a different server thus causing the issues i was having. They gave me a new modem and put me on my old server i was originally on and now its working like a champ.. Thank you for the advice and help.

Message 17 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's great to hear, thank you for the update!
Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7