× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xr1000 internet works but constant flashing amber light

FeaRzFPS
Tutor

Xr1000 internet works but constant flashing amber light

So basically I have BT 900mbps internet. My connection is PPOE. Everytime i turn the router on or off I have to manually setup the router everytime. Creating password etc and it’s odd. But right now the internet works but the power light is flashing amber. My speeds are fine but I just have a constant amber light. Can someone help me. Internet working but constant flashing amber light. Thanks.
Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Can you have the ISP modem/Router handle the PPPoE and let the XR router be configured for DHCP? 

If your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Try option #2 first...

Message 2 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Good advice above, you're having to re-do everything as you're unplugging it and haven't done a reboot from the interface first which acts as a hard save, do that after you've changed settings and it shouldn't happen again.
Message 3 of 21
FeaRzFPS
Tutor

ill be honest, i dont know how to do all this.

Message 4 of 21
FeaRzFPS
Tutor

i rebooted from the settings as you said and it directly took me to the setup page to set up again

Message 5 of 21
FeaRzFPS
Tutor

the firmware is currently 1.0.0.64

Message 6 of 21
FeaRzFPS
Tutor

are you able to do anydesk with me and help me. please

Message 7 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When you finish the setup wizard and go through to the main interface have you changed any settings? If not do that, reboot from the interface, then wait a few hours or so before unplugging it - if you're trying to reboot either doing so from the interface or using the button on the back is best.
Message 8 of 21
FeaRzFPS
Tutor

this is not correct. My router does not hard save anything. every time i turn it off or perform reset or unplug i have to set it up as new router every time. I have had my router installed now for over a week and i have internet but the power light is always flashing amber. i am on the XR1000 1.0.0.68_1.0.54 update which is the latest one. i cant access geo filter on app as it said cant sync cloud. if i turn off router and back on, it will set up completely, nothing hard saves. There is defo a problem with my router.

Message 9 of 21
FeaRzFPS
Tutor

my isp is BT and i use a PPoe connection. i connected the dsl cable from the BT ont to the internet/wan port on my NG. is this correct? something just isnt right. i have internet connection but cant use the features i wanna use

Message 10 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just to clarify, once you change settings you have rebooted the router from the interface?

You said a DSL cable, do you definitely mean a DSL cable (RJ11)? If so, you have the correct port on the XR but it needs to be an ethernet cable (RJ45) that connects to the ONT and would explain why you can't use the features properly.
Message 11 of 21
FeaRzFPS
Tutor

yeah i mean ethernet cable from the BT ONT to the NG.

Message 12 of 21
FeaRzFPS
Tutor

yes once i completed settings, i have rebooted the router many times from the interface and it sets up as new router every time. nothing hard saves.

Message 13 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Make your settings changes, then leave it completely for 2 hours, reboot from the interface, top right rather than though the settings pages then check, has it still reverted?
Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

Message 15 of 21
FeaRzFPS
Tutor

Yes it still reverts
Message 16 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have the router connected to a power extender or direct to an outlet? If an extender could you do an outlet, repeat the process above and see if it works please?
Message 17 of 21
FeaRzFPS
Tutor

It is plugged directly into the outlet.
Message 18 of 21
FeaRzFPS
Tutor

It is connected to this.
Message 19 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think you may have a faulty unit then, I can't see any other reason so far as to why it would be resetting every time you reboot. Depending on warranty it may be best to pursue a replacement with Netgear directly or exchange it with the retailer you purchased it from.
Message 20 of 21
FeaRzFPS
Tutor

I thought that would be the case, I have raised this with netgear, thanks for your help
Message 21 of 21
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7