× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xr300 geo filter and other problems

Lukespooner
Tutor

Xr300 geo filter and other problems

Right so i have an xr300 the problems are im constantly getting connected outside of my radius and yes everything is setup exaclly how netdumaos tells you to set up i followed all instructions i leave it in filtering mode at all times etc etc my radius is set exaclly around the uk and it is finding lobbys so easy in bo4 blackout it finds games within seconds of my pressing deploy it shouldnt find games as quick as that then i check where im connected to and its either someone in the states or italy or spain etc etc never connect to anyone in my radius as filtering mode is enabled at all this should be happening i have tried everything from factory resetting the xr300 i have even ran a test sat 50mile radius it still finds lobbys to join and at a 50 mile radius i should find zero lobbys my other gripe with this router is most of the things are displayed as NIL i have no clue what that means but id like some help here before i post a bad review to my youtube channel i bought this router in confidence i would get the best connections at all times to the games i play but up to now it if failing drastically
Message 1 of 26
Lukespooner
Tutor

Message 2 of 26
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

In the second screenshot you posted, I can see that there's an icon to the right of the radius. This icon (inside a triangle) represents a blocked server, so if these are the icons you're seeing outside of your radius, it's all working normally.

The appearence of the word "nil" all over the place is actually a known bug. Could you let me know what firmware version you're on?

As a test, could you open a private tab in your browser and see if the nil bug is still present?

Message 3 of 26
Lukespooner
Tutor

Hi net duma alex .. as the host marked in the triangle is a blocked connection inside my radius it never shows anyone that i can click on to see the ping etc etc no one is ever shown inside my radius is there a setting i need to have it on to see this ? Also if it is working correctly how come when i have done certain tests it still finds games very easily even in a 50 mile radius it still finds games when i load into bo4 blackout it may be blocking certain hosts as you say no it never shows the host inside my radius for me to ping

I am on the latest firmware i updated the other day to the latest one the nil bug has been there since i purchased the router .. thanks for the help
Message 4 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you provide a screenshot with the map zoomed out completely showing us what it shows when you get a game outside your radius that would be really helpful for us to see what is actually happening as from the screenshot so far it looks like that server is blocked correctly.
Message 5 of 26
Lukespooner
Tutor

Hi net duma fraser when i am in a game or trying to find a game in blackout or bo4 i never connect to anyone in the uk its like nobody in the uk is around also sometimes when i do get in games in the radius there is no one to click on to check the ping its just invisible nothing inside the radius at all 

Message 6 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay thanks for the information, could you provide the screenshot I mentioned so we can see where it's going wrong please?
Message 7 of 26
Lukespooner
Tutor

I believe that server in the screenshot is blocked but it doesnt show me who im connected to inside my radius ? Its like no one in the uk is ever playing bo4 to connect too it does this all the time never connects to anyone in the uk at all its always outside of uk or someone at the bottom of uk 

Message 8 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's when you're in a game and playing? Could you zoom out completely on the map as there may be a host showing in the US that is being connected to.
Message 9 of 26
Lukespooner
Tutor

Yes that is everytime i am in game according to this game there is no one in the uk playing bo4 it is beyond a joke now this is a zoomed out picture 

Message 10 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That is quite strange, the only thing I could think it would be at the moment is the device you're looking at the interface on won't be optimised. Do you have a PC you could use to look at the interface with on Google Chrome? It may be that you're actually getting the game in the UK it's just not appearing on that device.
Message 11 of 26
Lukespooner
Tutor

Yet again another instance this time tessted with an even smaller radius and still finds games but not in the uk 

Message 12 of 26
Lukespooner
Tutor

I dont have a laptop but i can access google chrome through the new samsung tab s6 .. it acts as a desktop .. its just that it never shows anyone online in the uk even when booting up game every where else shows servers etc etc apart from uk even when in a quads game it doesnt show the other 3 people in the lobby its so strange the xr500 everyone else uses shows people in the uk and also they connect to people in the uk this xr300 router doesnt show anything and everything is almost displayed as NIL i want the xr500 to review im not going to review the xr300 while it is acting like this and displaying everything as NIL but then again i cant afford to just go out and buy the xr500 this xr300 was expensive enough 

Message 13 of 26
Lukespooner
Tutor

Im going to factory reset the router and give it one last try if it doesnt work then i wont be using netgear again as it is failing and not doing its job 

Message 14 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The NIL issue is something that is known about and will be fixed for the next version. You won't see players when playing games that use servers like CoD so don't expect to see them on the Geo-Filter but you would see a server. The map is showing icons and indicates that it's working, just odd that when you're actually running around playing there is nothing within the radius or seemingly out of it that it's connected to. Try the reset and then let us know.
Message 15 of 26
Lukespooner
Tutor

I have just reset i will now try it all again and report back
Message 16 of 26
Lukespooner
Tutor

After the reset this is what it looks like now first try 

Message 17 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Fantastic! Not sure what caused it but glad it's working now. Keep us updated and let us know if it happens again please.
Message 18 of 26
Lukespooner
Tutor

Im not sure either i havent messed with qos this time ive left that defualt m. The only person or server i am connecting to everygame is that one shown on the bottom of the uk not sure witch one that is it doesnt find any other peers or dedicated servers in the uk
Message 19 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There will be multiple servers within that one location so it's likely not the same one every time. Also there is only that one server location in the UK for the game so you won't see any others in the UK.
Message 20 of 26
Lukespooner
Tutor

Oh i see i thought it was the same one everytime as it shows up on the geofilter in the exact same location i dont connect to anyone else in the uk just that bottom server//host i dont connect tocany peers or anything up north
Message 21 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That is normal, it's actually a server misclassified as a peer, we'll be sorting that with a cloud update. You won't see any players on the map when playing CoD as you're connecting to the server and don't have direct connections to the players.
Message 22 of 26
Lukespooner
Tutor

Right i get you now .. should i just leave my ps4 in filtering mode at all times in order for the geo filter to work correctly i never change it from filtering mode i just leave it in filtering mode at all times .. i get around 18-20 ms ping on that server .. when you will netgear be fixing the NIL bugs ?? Massive help today thank you
Message 23 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes my recommendation would be to leave it in Filtering Mode, you know that setting works and you're getting the closest server with a really good ping so you can rest assured it's doing its job. I can't provide any ETAs on firmware releases as that's down to Netgear but whenever it's released the NIL issue will be fixed.
Message 24 of 26
Lukespooner
Tutor

So whats the difference between the xr500 xr700 and xr300 is there any quality differences they all have the same dumaos softwear i dont know the advantages between the the 3
Message 25 of 26
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7