× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xr500 Ethernet limited to 100Mbit

fbry7177
Follower

Xr500 Ethernet limited to 100Mbit

Hello, I have gigabit service from my ISP.  When plugged in to the wall I at least get 250~500Mbit download speeds but when I try to download the same exact file from the same exact website (Microsoft in this case, downloading a Windows 7 ISO), when I'm wired in through my router using a Cat 5e cable, the download is limited to 100Mbit speed.  What's ever weirder is that when I run a speed test from the same computer, I consistently get 850~900 Mbit download speeds.  So what gives, why are the ethernet ports on my router only giving me 100Mbit?  Also I will mention that Windows is showing this computer to be connected to my router via ethernet at 1Gbps.  Yes, I've tried disabling QoS, no difference.  

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 17
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

That is really strange. Reading your description it sounds like you’ve changed every variable. Can you try switching ports and cables around? Maybe there’s some random thing causing the issue that has been missed. Definitely doesn’t sound like a software problem, so must be in the setup.
Message 2 of 17
XRaptor29
Luminary

Cat 5e isn't gigabit certified. Cat 6, 6a and 7 are Gigabit certified which means they are designed to hit 1Gbps. Cat 6a and 7 are shielded to prevent interference from other wires and they can hit 10Gbps.

Could be a bad Ethernet cable limiting it to 100Mbps because Cat 5e should easily hit 800Mbps.
Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Cat5E can support up to 1000Mb, however Cat6 would be a much better options. 

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Cat5e_vs_Cat6

@fbry7177 wrote:

Hello, I have gigabit service from my ISP.  When plugged in to the wall I at least get 250~500Mbit download speeds but when I try to download the same exact file from the same exact website (Microsoft in this case, downloading a Windows 7 ISO), when I'm wired in through my router using a Cat 5e cable, the download is limited to 100Mbit speed.  What's ever weirder is that when I run a speed test from the same computer, I consistently get 850~900 Mbit download speeds.  So what gives, why are the ethernet ports on my router only giving me 100Mbit?  Also I will mention that Windows is showing this computer to be connected to my router via ethernet at 1Gbps.  Yes, I've tried disabling QoS, no difference.  

Definately check cabling for quality.

Message 4 of 17
Killhippie
Prodigy

The XR500 and the R7800 dont use the same QoS. R7800 uses Streamboost, XR500 uses Netdumas own proprietary QoS. Normally with a connection so fast you don't need QoS anyway, but Fraser states here that the XR500 can handle QoS at Gigabit speeds.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-Throughput/m-p/1520454

Message 5 of 17
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Case - sorry but that is untrue. DumaOS QoS can operate at gigabit speed on the XR500. In fact, that was one of the main test requirements when we first put DumaOS onto the hardware. OP has also said he has disabled QoS anyway to try and find the cause.

OP - let us know if you have any update and we will continue to help you here. Thanks.

Message 6 of 17
scope213
Aspirant

I have the same exact problem. Ever since I upgraded to 1gig through spectrum my lan connection seems to be capped at 100mbps. Help!
Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

How are you determining this? 

Are your network adapters connecting at 100Mb or 1000Mb speeds? Should be 1000mb 

Have you set up two PCs or a storage device like NAS that all support 1000mb on there network adatpers and do some file transfers between each to see what the speeds are? Read and Write.

You might download iPerf and run some tests as well. 

@scope213 wrote:
I have the same exact problem. Ever since I upgraded to 1gig through spectrum my lan connection seems to be capped at 100mbps. Help!

Message 8 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It may also be that you need to purchase a new ethernet cable that can support 1000mbps
Message 9 of 17
ReddieEX
Aspirant

Hey there,

actually i got the same problem over here. but i dont know if its just a bug in dumaos.

i could see the following in the device manager app

2019-01-12 23_58_07-Device Manager - DumaOS.pngand Link Speed is at 100 Mbits. My Setup is pretty easy: Cable ISP Router Gigabit > XR500 via Cat 5e > Client Machine via Cat 5e

I'll try it with cat 6 or 7 within the next couple of days and post a reply.

Message 10 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I can't see the picture yet as it hasn't been moderated. Is this the WAN port or specific ports for devices?
Message 11 of 17
ReddieEX
Aspirant

hey fraser,

the wan port is on 1000 GBits, the LAN Ports are all (2 connected via cat 5e) at 100 MBits

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Swap LAN cables to test.

Swap network adapters if possible. Ensure that network adapters are rated for 1000Mb connection rates. 

Message 13 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Check the link speed on windows, is it full duplex 1000mbps? If not change it, does that work? If it doesn't have as an option then your device doesn't support more than 100mbps and device manager is showing correctly.
Message 14 of 17
ReddieEX
Aspirant

hey there again, tested it now with Cat 6 and Cat 7 cables and now it changed to gigabit ethernet. thought that cat 5e is enough for gigabit communication but well, nobody learn out. Just use always Cat 6 or higher nowadays.

Message 15 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@ReddieEX wrote:

hey there again, tested it now with Cat 6 and Cat 7 cables and now it changed to gigabit ethernet. thought that cat 5e is enough for gigabit communication but well, nobody learn out.

The point is that some older CAT5 or CAT5E cables have two pairs (four strands) only - this does limit to Fast Ethernet (100 Mbit/s max). CAT5E is sufficient for Gigabit Ethernet, permitting there are four workable pairs (eight strands) inside.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working now. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@ReddieEX wrote:

hey there again, tested it now with Cat 6 and Cat 7 cables and now it changed to gigabit ethernet. thought that cat 5e is enough for gigabit communication but well, nobody learn out. Just use always Cat 6 or higher nowadays.

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7