× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr500 Issue

SteG
Aspirant

Xr500 Issue

Not sure where to go with this, or if my XR500 is still working but.

Last night I had major issues with my router and my connection, at first I thought it was my internet connection then I worked out it was the XR500.

I keep getting DNS errors with the router, it started in my Sons room, then moved to my xbox and pc. They would not connect to the router, I'm using power line adaptors, but normally if I just reset them

the internet works again, but not in this case. It got to the point where my computer and xbox wouldn't connect at all.

Wifi devices would connect though, so I reset all the powerline plugs again and still nothing. I tried to log into the router via my phone, even though the internet was working via the phone I could not log into the router settings, every time I tried to go into setting page, it would just take me to the netgear home page, which told me I'm not connected to the router?

So I factory reset the router, still couldn't connect to it after that. At this point I was fuming and ready to smash some thing, so I pulled out an old TP link router, set it up bang on the internet straight away no issues. So I went back to the XR500, it would now connect to my pc? So set it all up again, got every thing working to how I had my setting, thought its all sorted.

Got up this morning, its all off again, nothing will connect via the XR500, phone won't connect to the log in page, put the TP link back in, works straight away...............

Has my XR500 died? 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: Xr500 Issue

Are you on the latest firmware? Have you tried a factory reset? Can you access the XR500's interface when you get disconnected? If not, what IP address are you being given?

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is Smart Connect Enabled or disable? 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only

Message 3 of 6
SteG
Aspirant

Not sure how I can do any of that, if I can't connect to the routers setting.

It's a bt open reach modem.
Message 4 of 6
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

What IP address is your computer being given?
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

"It's a bt open reach modem" Is there a model # printed anywhere on this modem? 

@SteG wrote:
Not sure how I can do any of that, if I can't connect to the routers setting.

It's a bt open reach modem.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7