× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr500 and mesh network

BraveHeart95
Aspirant

Xr500 and mesh network

Hello
I have Netgear Xr500 for about 2 years and i recently bought mesh network system (linksys velop) is there a way that i can connect the main node with cable (modem-xr500-node1)
So i can basically use the xr 500 for devices that are connected by cable with all features like geo-filter and qos and use the velop for wireless ?
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Xr500 and mesh network

you can do it by putting the velop in ap mode. That'd leave the XR in control of the routing functions

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=243548

Message 2 of 6
blw4f
Tutor

I've decided to try and make this work as well. I've got my velop in 'Bridge Mode'... which from what I can tell, is their version of AP mode.

I can only see one issue at this point. The mesh seems to be working but I'm seeing another 'open' network by the same name. I don't understand what is causing that. Does anyone have any ideas?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Double check the XR WiFi settings, do you see that network there? This might be one for linksys support.
Message 4 of 6
blw4f
Tutor

I thought that might be the case.

However, I decided to investigate and connected to it. I can connect to it but it doesn’t have internet. Also, once connected to it the network updated its name to a temp name I assigned the XR a few minutes before but that name was only temporary and the XR doesn’t have that name anymore.

On another strange note, I can only see this open network on my windows devices. None of my Apple devices can see this network (multiple macs, iPhones...)
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's really odd, if you disable the XR500 WiFi does the network disappear and then the mesh network works as intended?
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7