× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr500 connected to EX7700 via ethernet

Pallywood
Tutor

Xr500 connected to EX7700 via ethernet

Hello. I connected the extender to the router via ethernet, to help with the backhaul.
My android TV box and Laptops then we're not able to get DHCP IP addresses. Even after forgetting the WiFi connection, I could get no internet.
I assigned an IP address manually on my android box and it worked.
As we were needing the laptops, I disconnected the ethernet cable from the EX7700 and the WiFi was happy again on the laptops.
Why would connecting an ethernet cable to the extender kill DHCP?
I had rebooted the router and the extender to no effect.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Xr500 connected to EX7700 via ethernet

yeah the tribands need to be in AP mode for hardwired backhaul. 

I'd try the speedtest with it in AP mode and in extener mode with the wireless backhaul. You might be surprised at how well the wireless backhaul works (provided you have a decent router)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Did you factory reset and run through the EX7700 in AP mode? if its wired into the router it needs to be placed in AP mode or it won't function properly. 

Message 2 of 5
Pallywood
Tutor

Hi thanks for the answer.
I did none of that.
I will look up how to set the extender to AP mode
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

yeah the tribands need to be in AP mode for hardwired backhaul. 

I'd try the speedtest with it in AP mode and in extener mode with the wireless backhaul. You might be surprised at how well the wireless backhaul works (provided you have a decent router)

Message 4 of 5
Pallywood
Tutor

Thank you for the update. We were wanting to use the ethernet as the router is in a room with loads of metal in the walls( a safe room)
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7