× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xr500 connectivity issues

gcmfishin
Tutor

Xr500 connectivity issues

I purchased this router a couple months ago and I have a couple of anoyying issues thus far. Issues are:

1: Every other day I pretty much have to restart the router as the internet speeds are at a crawl.

2: I notice that the device Manger doesnt show all the devices that are connected. even when they are drawing bandwidth they show offline.

I am running the latest firmware V2.3.2.40. I have hard reseted the router a few times. no change. When i restart the router the devices do show in network traffic and in the manager. but after I dont know how long they disapear again. But i can careless about that. The main issue is the internet speeds. i have 300/25 and when the issue happens its at under 10/.05 so very very slow. What do you think?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

You might downgrade to v32 as other have had issues with v40. 

@gcmfishin wrote:

I purchased this router a couple months ago and I have a couple of anoyying issues thus far. Issues are:

1: Every other day I pretty much have to restart the router as the internet speeds are at a crawl.

2: I notice that the device Manger doesnt show all the devices that are connected. even when they are drawing bandwidth they show offline.

I am running the latest firmware V2.3.2.40. I have hard reseted the router a few times. no change. When i restart the router the devices do show in network traffic and in the manager. but after I dont know how long they disapear again. But i can careless about that. The main issue is the internet speeds. i have 300/25 and when the issue happens its at under 10/.05 so very very slow. What do you think?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What QoS settings are you using? Is this over wifi and ethernet?

The devices are they connected to a switch or another router behind the XR500? Which devices are they specifically? Do they use an instant on/standby mode?
Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

You might downgrade to v32 as other have had issues with v40. 

@gcmfishin wrote:

Message 3 of 9
gcmfishin
Tutor

I have tried all three settings of qos. I do tend to leave it "On" more than High Priority Traffic. I feel that high piority traffic doesnt work. As realy the only game i play is siege on the pc. 

These speed tests are over ethernet directly connected to the router. and over wifi. no switches or anything like that. 

The modem I am using is an arris SB8200. On comcast with 250/20. but when its working i get 300/25. its connected to the xr500 router.

I will try to downgrade the firmware and see if the problem goes away.. thank you guys for the responses and your help.

Message 4 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd try QoS completely disabled in Anti-Bufferbloats settings and see if you experience this slow downs. If not then it's likely a QoS issue.
Message 5 of 9
gcmfishin
Tutor

Downgraded the firmware to 32. took qos off. lets see what happens. report back in a couple days. or if the issue pops up. thank you guys

Message 6 of 9
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for letting us know. Hope it works well for you

Message 7 of 9
gcmfishin
Tutor

Well so far so good. After I downgraded to the previous firmware everything seems to be runing great. no more slow internet. And the devices are all being detected. I guess ill wait for the next firmware to be released. thanks guys.  

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@gcmfishin wrote:

Well so far so good. After I downgraded to the previous firmware everything seems to be runing great. no more slow internet. And the devices are all being detected. I guess ill wait for the next firmware to be released. thanks guys.  

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7