× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xr500 dropping internet connectivity to wired devices only roughly every 18 hours

Xr500 dropping internet connectivity to wired devices only roughly every 18 hours

ok so like the title says, im having an issue with my xr500 reguarding dropping internet connectivity to wired devices only. It happens once a day, and a simple power cycle solves the problem. Its worth noting that when this happens, I have no access to Duma OS via wired or wireless devices even though wireless devices keep internet connectivity. Up until this point, this has been a great router but it is cyclical almost to the hour. Also, i have the most current firmware as of writing this(V2.3.2.40). Any help would be appreiciated. I have tinkered with the Qos settings, checked WAN and LAN settings, all seems normal. Router logs show nothing out of the ordinary amd the indicators on the front of the router are all white while this is happening. My provider is Comcast, using my own CM1000 modem. Thank so much!
Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions

Re: Xr500 dropping internet connectivity to wired devices only roughly every 18 hours

This has been reported to Netduma a lot of times. They came out with a hotfix firmware that should solve this. If it doesn't for you, putting a network switch in between the wired devices seems to fix it. Firmware here: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28523-new-xr500-hotfix-firmware-for-drop-outs/

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 24

All Replies

This has been reported to Netduma a lot of times. They came out with a hotfix firmware that should solve this. If it doesn't for you, putting a network switch in between the wired devices seems to fix it. Firmware here: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28523-new-xr500-hotfix-firmware-for-drop-outs/

Message 2 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the HotFix patch FW. If not, try downgrading to v32...

I recommend a factory reset on the XR router after FW has been applied and setup from scratch. Also be sure to power OFF The ISP modem for 30 seconds then back on. Then connect the XR and see how it goes. 

@ICleverUserName wrote:
ok so like the title says, im having an issue with my xr500 reguarding dropping internet connectivity to wired devices only. It happens once a day, and a simple power cycle solves the problem. Its worth noting that when this happens, I have no access to Duma OS via wired or wireless devices even though wireless devices keep internet connectivity. Up until this point, this has been a great router but it is cyclical almost to the hour. Also, i have the most current firmware as of writing this(V2.3.2.40). Any help would be appreiciated. I have tinkered with the Qos settings, checked WAN and LAN settings, all seems normal. Router logs show nothing out of the ordinary amd the indicators on the front of the router are all white while this is happening. My provider is Comcast, using my own CM1000 modem. Thank so much!

Message 3 of 24

I have an S8000 switch that I used to use for my game room but i have since removed it from the network because the router in now located in the game room. Your recommendation is to install this firmware and add the switch or just go the hotfix route? Thanks for the replies btw

Message 4 of 24

You should try the hotfix first. If that doesn't help, add the switch. The hotfix solved my wired disconnections. 

Message 5 of 24

Will do thanks. I’ll add one observation as well. I was just home and all wired devices were disconnected so before the power cycle I checked the ip addresses assigned to them. NONE of the wired devices had an up address assigned via DHCP. Would this be an indication of the problem Netduma is trying to alleviate with this patch?
Message 6 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes that could be an indication of one of two issues, hopefully it'll be the one that the firmware can fix. If not then disable instant on/standby modes on your console and see if that resolves the issue.
Message 7 of 24

What relevance does the instant on setting for the Xbox have with the DHCP server in the route? I’m not questioning anyone I’m genuinely curious how one affects the other.
Message 8 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not exactly sure, it's being looked into but basically when a console is woken from the standby mode it can kill any ethernet connections and sometimes wifi connections. Some other routers encounter it to due to the consoles so we're working with the console manufacturers also to find the cause.
Message 9 of 24

Interesting. I’ll update this post with results in a few days I’ve had time to do this step by step. Thanks again for your advice!
Message 10 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

This has been an issue with Instant ON and xbox one since day one of it's release. Something MS needs to address as well. 

Message 11 of 24

Also, how did you know I had an Xbox?
Message 12 of 24

You’d think the would’ve by now. Next gen consoles are just around the corner at this point but who knows. Maybe it’s just small percentage of people with xr500s that have an issue. I used an ac1750 for years without an issue and the XR has been just as reliable so far. It just odd that it would start occurring randomly now. All of my Xbox’s have stayed in instant on mode for about as long as I’ve had them but this issue just started alittle less than a week ago.
Message 13 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

This happens on other Mfr routers as well, not just with NG routers. 

Were hoping that MS can get a handle on this in next gen console. They along with router mfrs need to work together to ensure that this feature doesn't break and cause problems for users. 

I keep Instant ON disabled on all my consoles. No issues seen with various routers i've tested. 

Message 14 of 24

True but how can they fix it if no one knows why? It’s concerning to think that the Xbox could be applying voltage to the cable when or where it shouldn’t be or some other odd hardware issue. I’m just having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that one device is able to confuse the router so badly that all devices using the same method of connection get knocked offline and make the OS for the router inaccessible. Duma Os operates entirely outside the OS for the Xbox so the router would have no idea what settings were set to what on the Xbox correct? I’m hoping this patch and/or disabling instant on will help because if not I don’t see a scenario that doesn’t involve having to warranty this router or buy another one.
Message 15 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's not to do with the settings it's how the console interacts with the router when turned off completely versus being in a standby mode.
Message 16 of 24

Ok so a few days after the fact I’ve done this in step to attempt to isolate the cause. I started with the hot fix patch. It didn’t NOT solve the issue. No change what so ever. The next step was to disable the instant on setting on the Xbox. Again, this did not solve the issue. Next I disconnected every wired device except for my PC and the xbox. No change there. Finally, I grabbed the S8000 switch, connected it to the router(it’s the only device connected via Ethernet to the router) then connected only the Xbox and pc to the switch and BOOM. I’m 2 days in and no connection drop. I have since reconnected all wired devices through the switch and have yet to have the issue again. Just for giggles I reverted back to original firmware, turned instant on back on, and removed the switch. The first boy difference this time is I had my Xbox One S wired instead of the One X. This problem done not occur with the Xbox One S. For some reason or another, this is isolated to my One X and nothing else. The current configuration is as follows
CM1000> XR500> S8000> PC, Xbox One X(instant on enabled) and several other devices that are irrelevant to this discussion.
So far, I have had no drops. I am using the current firmware(not the hot fix), speeds are as they should be, and all original settings are the same as they were when this started. The only change to my network now is the re-addition on the network switch. I have no clue why this alleviated the problem but it did so I’m happy. The switch looks cool on my desk anyways so 🤷🏻‍♂️ Thank you everyone for your advice and tips. I hope this can help others that may be in a similar situation. And thank you Netduma for taking the time to respond. It’s nice to know that the people that develop the OS for this router are active in the community. Hopefully this can help you guys narrow down what it is about the Xbox that doesn’t get along with the XR series routers. Thanks again. Have a weekend everyone!
Message 17 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear you resolved it, the addition of the switch is another known workaround but it's not applicable to everyone as not everyone has one. We'll continue to look into the issue.
Message 18 of 24
CeeDaRula
Aspirant

This is not solved if people like myself who have done all of the steps in this thread and still have the issue almost 90 days after purchase.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 19 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We realise this and that's why its still being looked into. I hope that it will be resolved soon, the best people are on it. I realise it is frustrating.
Message 20 of 24
SKasai
Tutor

Sadly, I am one of the people also having a problem with the XR500 where I can't identify why or for what reason it is dropping Internet connections to my wired devices as well, and tried working with both the Hotfix and dropping the firmware to the .32 version with no avail.

I am close to the 15 day return policy with Best Buy and trying another router at the moment, although believe there is something that is causing whatever the network stack to get congested, even with QoS turned off that will make it 'restart' the network stack that sometimes recover for some connections (Like Planetside 2) and not for others (SSH Terminal Connections to a remote server)

If anything, the system logs may need to be a little more 'robust' or note the fact to make note of delays in packet response, especially if it is using a gaming radar, an internet 'lack of response' within a 5 second period should be noted in some way and also some diagnostics (defaulted off unless checked) should be available for a period of time, especially on sporadic or random disconnections to allow users to be able help your group to track down the issues that may help.

In the past, when I dealt with my ISP about similar issues, where I would actually see 'consistent' drops, I was doing 4 ip ping tests to prove where I believe the issue was.  It would be helpful to have a diagnostic similar to that on the router itself.

Message 21 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We do have plans for better diagnostics in future. Are you using a console at all? If so have you tried the workarounds related to this - disabling instant on mode/standby mode and using a switch for wired devices.
Message 22 of 24
SKasai
Tutor

Hi Fraser,

I posted on NetDuma forums about the issue as well, and did confirm I was on another switch connected to it and still having problems.  Also don't use an XBox, most of my problems were with a Lenovo Yoga900 and a Desktop PC.

From what I saw, something WAN side seemed to just stall for 15-20 seconds before cooperating again.

Message 23 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay lets continue that topic there so we can double check everything. Also when it happens again take a look at the log in system information and see if there are any entries around that time.
Message 24 of 24
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7