× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr500 dropping ps4 game and party connection

Vinotauro
Guide

Xr500 dropping ps4 game and party connection

Hi guys, this is a great router.... When it's working right. This only seems to happen at night (somewhere between 8pm and midnight) I'll be in a party chat and a game when the router will randomly drop internet for a moment. This results in a disconnection from both. I don't see the entire internet dropping. In fact it comes back instantly. I'm on the new firmware and the hotfix firmware. Tried both.

Tested my old router with no issues. So much for a $300 GAMING router lol. Anyone have a solution?
Message 1 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Xr500 dropping ps4 game and party connection

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Use WPA2 and AES only.

Message 2 of 24
Vinotauro
Guide

I'm on the beta firmware which was supposedly the fix for my issue. I've noticed in the log it does a DHCP release and moments later internet went down. I'm connected directly to my fiber line with the router
Message 3 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the PS connected? Wired or wireless? 

Set a IP address reservation ON the router for the game console. 

I would contact NG support about this.

Message 4 of 24
Vinotauro
Guide

It's wired and has a static ip
Message 5 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the static IP ON the console? Try removing the static and setting a reserved IP address ON the router.

Message 6 of 24
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Interesting to know that it could be cause by a DHCP release. Try reserving an address through the router itself (like Furry suggested). Hopefully that fixes your problem.

Message 7 of 24
Vinotauro
Guide

Thanks for the replies. It happened again last night mid game. The log didn't suggest a DHCP release. In fact, all it said was 'internet connected' when it happened.

I tried static ip on the console and no fix. How do you reserve an ip? I think I already tried that
Message 8 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

I would change the IP address pool size on the router to 192.168.1.100 to .200. Then add a reservation to the router. Found under Settings/LAN Setup. Have the console online and connected and select ADD. A list of devices that are currently online and connected will be seen. Find the game console and select it, it will fill in a couple of boxes. You can give it a name as well. Select Add then Apply. 

Be sure uPnP is enabled and you don't have any Port Forwarding rules enabled. Disable these. 

@Vinotauro wrote:
Thanks for the replies. It happened again last night mid game. The log didn't suggest a DHCP release. In fact, all it said was 'internet connected' when it happened.

I tried static ip on the console and no fix. How do you reserve an ip? I think I already tried that

Message 9 of 24
Vinotauro
Guide

It happens every few hours. I take back what I said above, it tends to follow after a DHCP lease change and it occurs every 3 to 4 hours whether I'm using the internet or not
Message 10 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Do other devices see this problem as well or is it only the game console? 

Message 11 of 24
Vinotauro
Guide

As far as I can see... I don't know. It comes back instantly so I don't know. I can only tell because the game disconnects. It's literally down for a moment at the longest. It happens to my downstairs ps4 as well just for reference
Message 12 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a factory reset and set up the router from scratch. Turn OFF ALL devices accept for a wired PC. Walk thru the setup wizard. After it's configured, set the IP address range to 192.168.1.100 to .200. Save settings. Give your PC a reserved IP address. Then turn on the 1st console. Do the same thing by setting a reserved IP address. Do same for 2nd console as well. Turn on rest of devices. I would go ahead and reserve IPs for them as well. uPnP should be enabled is all thats needed. 

I would set manual wifi channels to 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4ghz and any un-used channel on 5Ghz. 

Set WPA2 and AES only. 

Enable beamforming and disable MIMO. 

Do the two console play online at the same time together? Tf so, set NAT Filter to OPEN. Found under Settings/Wan Setup.

Message 13 of 24
Vinotauro
Guide

Already tried factory reset and I set those ranges as you've mentioned in another post somewhere around here. Same issu

Also nat filtering is set to open and yes I can play both online simultaneously 

Message 14 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you get NAT filter to OPEN?

I would try with a different router to see if same thing happens. This should rule out the ISP services. Do you have a prior router handy by chance? 

Sounds like something is happening with the XR router. Possible FW issue. Would need to try something else or a different XR router. 

Message 15 of 24
Vinotauro
Guide

Yup tried my old R6700 no issues
Message 16 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would contact Netgear support so they can get you to capture the debug logs when it occurs then they can see what the issue is.
Message 17 of 24
Vinotauro
Guide

Message 18 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd find out on the Device Manager which device that MAC address belongs to and then give it a static IP to prevent that happening
Message 19 of 24
Vinotauro
Guide

I'm pretty certain that's the routers ip
Message 20 of 24
Vinotauro
Guide

When you say static, you mean reserving the ip right?
Message 21 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, I would contact NG support and ask for an RMA. If the other router isn't doing this, theres a problem with the XR router.

I'm not seeing this on my XR router, however i have two xbox consoles. 

@Vinotauro wrote:
Yup tried my old R6700 no issues

Message 22 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That wouldn't be the router IP, it's likely 192.168.1.1 and .4 is a device. Yes reserving an IP
Message 23 of 24
Vinotauro
Guide

My mistake but yes I've actually added all connected devices to a reserved ip to see if it helps
Message 24 of 24
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7