× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr500 gaming router - updated FW to latest - connect to Century link C4000bz modem

grdmstr75
Aspirant

Xr500 gaming router - updated FW to latest - connect to Century link C4000bz modem

Hello, I need support to assist in getting this setup.  

Breakdown:

newly installed DSL 80MB century link connection with CL modem model C4000bz , it is powered up and working online Internet DSL connection. 

However, I do not want to use their router functionality as I want to use my Netgear router for this purpose. 

I need help setting up the modem in transparent bridge mode so the NG router handles packets. how do I do this what are the steps? need assistance. 

I tried on my own without success. Century link support was worthless. 

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
grdmstr75
Aspirant

Re: Xr500 gaming router - updated FW to latest - connect to Century link C4000bz modem

thanks for the tip , however i was able to get it working now. 

i put the Modem which is a CL C4000bz model and the only one they distro now from what i was told by CL. 

once i put in bridge mode i left the Vlan tag as 201. CL support told me to put it as 0 which did not work.  Once i put in Transparent mode and rebooted my Xr500 router was able to use PPOE to access ISP server.  The physical setup is plug eth cable into LAN port 1 on the Modem C4000bz and plug other end to Xr500 WAN port. vohalia - setup creds for PPOE login , did not have to setup VLan tagging either works now. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Xr500 gaming router - updated FW to latest - connect to Century link C4000bz modem

Message 2 of 6
grdmstr75
Aspirant

as I typed they are worthless - LEVEL 1 support. 

Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Is the modem they've provided you a router/modem combo? Can you please let us know the exact make and model of it? Perhaps we can lookup some guides on it and assist you.

Generally, I'd recommend taking the WAN IP of the XR500 (Found in the DumaOS interface under System Information -> Network status) and putting it in the modem's DMZ. This is generally a more reliable solution than using a bridge/modem mode.

Message 4 of 6
grdmstr75
Aspirant

thanks for the tip , however i was able to get it working now. 

i put the Modem which is a CL C4000bz model and the only one they distro now from what i was told by CL. 

once i put in bridge mode i left the Vlan tag as 201. CL support told me to put it as 0 which did not work.  Once i put in Transparent mode and rebooted my Xr500 router was able to use PPOE to access ISP server.  The physical setup is plug eth cable into LAN port 1 on the Modem C4000bz and plug other end to Xr500 WAN port. vohalia - setup creds for PPOE login , did not have to setup VLan tagging either works now. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7