× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr500 nighthawk no internet

Trippybbpie
Aspirant

Xr500 nighthawk no internet

Internet randomly goes out around 1:30pm and is now 7:55pm and still cannot figure out why my internet randomly stopped working. Called ISP, ruled out it’s the router not communicating with modem. I can connect to internet hardwired from modem to desktop pc but when wired from modem to router and router to pc… internet does not work. Ive tried resetting network settings and factory reset the router and neither worked. I’m at a loss and I really don’t have the money to go out and buy a new router or pay for net gears services over the phone.. please help.

Model: nighthawk xr500 gaming router
Serial number: 5KD3895A0044F
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Re: Xr500 nighthawk no internet

what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

What firmware is on the router? 

Message 2 of 13
Trippybbpie
Aspirant

its spectrum modem EN2251 model i believe it is, and firmware im not sure on the router because i cant even connect to it after a factory reset. So whatever the default firmware is after factory resetting. 

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

the "default firmware" after a firmware reset is whatever firmware you had installed. It doesn't clear out firmware and bring it back to the original. Resetting only clears out settings. 

Message 4 of 13
Trippybbpie
Aspirant

oooh ok so yeah im not sure.. i cant log into the router anymore because it keeps saying no internet detected so i cant fully setup the router anymore.

Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

should still be able to log into router. 

try this. 

power off the modem and the router and disconnect everything from both. even coax from modem. 

Wait 2 minutes. 

connect coax back to modem and power it on. 

give it 2 minutes to fully boot. 

connect lan port on modem to wan port on router. 

power on the router. 

give it a couple minutes to boot. 

try setup. 

Message 6 of 13
Trippybbpie
Aspirant

Trying this now (logged on my phone to message back and forth) will update to let you know what happens
Message 7 of 13
Trippybbpie
Aspirant

So firmware is V2.3.2.56 no firmware updates available it says.
Message 8 of 13
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK so are you now able to access the interface and setup the router?

Message 9 of 13
Trippybbpie
Aspirant

Yeah I had to manually setup instead of using the genie to setup
Message 10 of 13
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

What exactly did you setup manually? Are you referring to the initial setup wizard or QoS?

Message 11 of 13
Trippybbpie
Aspirant

Yeah setup wizard. To basically log into my router. If I did the automatic genie setup, it was trying to find internet and there was no internet to connect to so I couldn’t get into the actual router.
Message 12 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Upgrade to the latest beta and see if you get internet then please https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-120-XR500/td-p/...
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7