× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xr500 on Virgin gig1 not reaching speed

Killak786
Guide

Xr500 on Virgin gig1 not reaching speed

Hi.

Ive recently upgraded to gig1 package from virgin media. I have the hub4 in modem mode with the xr500 as my router. I am getting 950mbps at the modem but only 500mbps via wifi and ethernet. I have tried disabling qos tried sifferent cat cables but nothing works. I know i wont see the full 1gbps but i should see close to the 950mbps at the modem. Please help! Thanks
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd suggest going through the setup wizard again on the XR so it can adjust any settings required for it, what does the speedtest report there that you get?
Message 2 of 16
Killak786
Guide

I did the setup again and i got 915mbps on the setup speed test and 654mbps on the speed test after it had been setup.

Also on the netgear nighthawk app the speed test gives me 950mbps?
Message 3 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that's much better. I believe the Nighthawk app does the speed test directly from the router, similar to the setup wizard. Disable Smart Connect and connect to 5GHz manually and it may be faster.
Message 4 of 16
Killak786
Guide

Ive had smart connect switched off and im connected to the 5ghz but im getting max 650mbps?
Message 5 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay now, in Anti-Bufferbloat options (3 line menu, top left of the panel), make sure you've set the speed you expect and disable QoS entirely. Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel for 5GHz and change to that also.
Message 6 of 16
Killak786
Guide

Ive tried what you suggested still only reaching max 670mbps.
Message 7 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just to check, the 950 you see on the hub, is that connected to it via wifi or via ethernet?
Message 8 of 16
Killak786
Guide

The 950 is via wifi i can get that on the nighthawk app and on the setup speedtest on the xr500.
Message 9 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay re-enable QoS please and then make a manual rule in Traffic Prioritization for your wireless device:
Source 1-65535
Destination 1-65535
Protocol TCP/UDP
Then do a test and see what speeds you get please.
Message 10 of 16
Killak786
Guide

I got about a 20mbps increase with that method.
Message 11 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay interesting, now in router mode set the XR to AP mode, what speed do you get then? That will basically disable most router functions.
Message 12 of 16
Killak786
Guide

I have tried what you have suggested but still the same. I have also tried bridging the xr500 with virgin media hub4 in router mode with wifi disabled but still the same. ?
Message 13 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What do you get via ethernet to the XR exactly?
Message 14 of 16
Killak786
Guide

930mbps on average sometimes higher sometimes a bit lower
Message 15 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that's really good. For some reason I just don't think it's going to be able to reach higher than what you have achieved on it so far. That speed is very sufficient for whatever your needs are but if you need more then you may want to get an AP or extender for example that can reach higher speeds.
Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7