× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xr500 only and only returns self on DNS resolution

JohnSmith12345
Follower

Xr500 only and only returns self on DNS resolution

XR500, latest over the air firmware Router is configured with a static 'wan' public DNS IPs. Name resolution apparently works for the router itself as it was able to find the firmware update. DNS resolution doesn't work for any client machines. The client can be getting the DNS server IP from the XR500 or manually by configuration. In the first case the XR500 replies with itself as the DNS server and on resolution replies with its own IP for any hostname. Manually setting the DNS server IP on the client machine makes no difference. Connecting the same client to another network without the XR500 and it works fine. Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
cooties116
Initiate

I managed to get this working by resetting and auto detecting the internet settings instead of entering them manually

View solution in original post

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi John - have you ever edited this section on your router, or did this just happen in the upgrade? This is NETGEAR's area, not Netduma (who I work for), so might be worth contacting official support if this is causing you particular problems: http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

NG uses DNS Relay or Proxy, even though you set up custom DNS on the router, the DNS that appears on all connected client devices will be the IP address of the router. 

Message 3 of 6
cooties116
Initiate

I am having a similar issue. I can ping 8.8.8.8 and get a response, however, when i try to ping a domain (eg www.google.com.au) I only get the router IP in response (ie 192.168.1.1)

This is still the case when i set the DNS to static (8.8.8.8)

Message 4 of 6
cooties116
Initiate

I managed to get this working by resetting and auto detecting the internet settings instead of entering them manually

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to know. Thanks for letting us know. Please mark this thread as solved so others will know. 

@cooties116 wrote:

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7