× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xr500 or should i buy another model?

Thorfinn
Star

Xr500 or should i buy another model?

So let me first tell that i'm using an old d-link dsl-g256dg modem/router connected by a phone cable from my adsl adapter and a cat6 cable from the modem/router to my pc
My Isp is the "best" one in my area for pc gaming and im getting around 50-65mb download speeds and up to 5mb upload
I also have few home devices connected to my wifi while my pc is the main place for gaming and such (mostly apex legends and other fps shooters)

I'm getting "decent" ping to eu servers but dslreports show huge bufferbloat and bad scores+ i have a problem connecting some devices to my wifi..

I saw the Xr500 and got excited because it
Might be exactly what i need to get a stable better latency and fix the bufferbloat+ get better wifi range! Probably for the entire house
But i see it is a router only so i wonder if i should buy another model?
Or make my dlink a modem only and conmect it to the xr500?
Also - just wonder what can i expect for my pc gaming when i install this router? Does it really help improve my network? Or its just an expansive gimmick

Also- i know my isp connect my by pppoe and i have my user/pw but! Im kinda clueless when it comes to networking :))

Please let me know as i'm desperate to fix my network

Thanks
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to bridge the D-Link modem so it's a modem only with any router you decide to connect to it. You can try out the XR500 and see if it works well for you. It should. 

Message 2 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As above I'd suggest putting the DLINK into modem mode, that saves you buying anything else and would also allow the XR to control all your devices. Given your bandwidth speeds you're very susceptible to local congestion/lag which the XR could definitely eliminate.
Message 3 of 15
Thorfinn
Star

Hey

Thank ya'll for the comments.

I decided to take the chance and ordered the Router from NewEgg to my Country

I hope the proccess will be easy and will work and solve my issues (making my dlink a bridge and connect it to the XR)

Message 4 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear that, let us know if you have any questions/issues.
Message 5 of 15
Thorfinn
Star

Yo!,

So I got the router today and just finished installing and tweaking all the settings, took me a while because it's my first time messing with such things(make my old modem "bridge" and connect it to the new XR500 and configure pppoe and so on)

This is the best purchase i made in years...!

Fixed my bufferbloat

Fixed my Wifi signal (entire house got strong wifi connection)

And total control over my wifi/devices and so on!

Thank you Netgear for an amazing product!

Message 6 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That is fantastic to hear, thanks for the update! Let us know if you have any issues/questions and we'll be happy to help.
Message 7 of 15
Thorfinn
Star

hmm

can i trust the qos "high priority" setting?

I got so excited to have to fix bufferbloat that i put my qos on "always" and 70%

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't see why you wouldn't trust. 

Message 9 of 15
Thorfinn
Star

so basicly it detects when i play a game and activate the QOS,right?

and let's say i dont play any games and i want to download a new game from steam etc.. I will get full download speeds right?

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Another thing to consider is if your the only one like me playing games and play games at night when others are in bed or there is little use of internet services from others during that time frame, you can leave the sliders at 99%. This would only be in this use case. 

Message 11 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As above, it will detect when you're playing a game and then prioritize it for you.
Message 12 of 15
Thorfinn
Star

Hey I do have another question to ask.

I configured my modem/router as bridge both atm/ptm and removed the pppoe settings

then i connected that modem/router from the LAN port to the XR500 WAN port + i connected the XR500 from the lan port to my pc

then i logged into DUMAOS and configured my pppoe settings and internet is working fine

but for some wierd reason the only LED that on is the Power

is something wrong? why i dont see other leds aswell?

Message 13 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Either the switch at the back of the router has been toggled which switches the lights off or in Settings > Advanced > LED Control settings it has been turned off there, double check/toggle them and the LEDs should work.
Message 14 of 15
Thorfinn
Star

Silly me! never knew there was a switch in the back - now its working 🙂

thank you

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7