× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr500 priorità

Manuellll
Apprentice

Re: Xr500 priorità

a question sorry, I was thinking, if I put the dmz on the ip the ip should not change even if it is not static as the modem is connected only the router should not change ip

Message 126 of 172
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

That's correct - it's something called a 'DHCP lease'. A device connected to a router or modem will continue to have the same IP address when it's online (unless you force it to change of course). If it goes offline, it will have the same IP address if it reconnects within the DHCP lease time e.g. 1 day. If it connects after this time, it will probably get a new IP address from the modem or router.

This page explains it well: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/what-is-dhcp-lease-time

Message 127 of 172
Manuellll
Apprentice

it may be that my network problems depend on the data received and transmitted, or I explain myself better send more data packets than those I receive

Message 128 of 172
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's very unlikely as those values will never be exactly the same
Message 129 of 172
Manuellll
Apprentice

yh but a very big difference  transmitted 700590 received 2500885 should not they be balanced?

Message 130 of 172
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No they shouldn't, heres mine for comparison:
Transmitted 4110827029
Received 144712436591
Message 131 of 172
Manuellll
Apprentice

Per connettersi ad Internet tramite la rete FIbra di TIM in tecnologia FTTC, il router deve supportare lo standard VDSL2 con spettro 8b e 17a. E' altresì consigliato il supporto dello spettro 35b.

E' importante anche il pieno supporto delle funzionalità tecniche di seguito riportate:

• Retransmission (ITU-T G.998.4)
  • Vectoring ( ITU-T G.993.5)
  • SRA (ITU-T G.993.2)

Per configurare una connessione sempre attiva da parte del modem/router, i parametri necessari sono i seguenti:

• USERNAME: numero_telefonico
  • PASSWORD: timadsl
  • PROTOCOLLO: PPPoE Routed (definito come RFC 2516) 
  • INCAPSULAMENTO: PTM
  • NAT: attivo 
  • VLAN: 835

these are the credentials that my isp says to have on the router to fit the problem is how do i put it?

Message 132 of 172
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not they shouldn't be the same, my router for example has a bigger difference than yours. You should be able to follow this guide: https://kb.netgear.com/24014/How-do-I-set-up-a-PPPoE-IPv6-Internet-connection-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Is PPPoE absolutely required or are you looking for things you think will improve your connection? If possible I would not advise using PPPoE as QoS may not be as effective.
Message 133 of 172
Manuellll
Apprentice

Ok, so I leave the ip wan address so I do not use ppoe so it should be better? I put the static ip on both the router and the modem and put the mtu on the router at 1500 the sip alg filter by turning off I can notice better line?

Message 134 of 172
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you get an internet connection without PPPoE then no need for it. Yes that sounds fine
Message 135 of 172
Manuellll
Apprentice

sure? even if my isp provides me with a ppoe connection? I'm asking these questions because these days my connection is undergoing lag

Message 136 of 172
schumaku
Guru

The ISP requires a PPPoE connection there is no way around the encapsulation (complete unrelated to QoS).... and it's unlikley an MTU of 1500 is possible at all.

Message 137 of 172
Manuellll
Apprentice

so i advise you to put the ppoe and disable nat on the modem? or simply put the mtu to 1492 and that's it? I'm confused

Message 138 of 172
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If PPPoE was absolutely necessary you wouldn't have an internet connection without it through the router. So that tells me that it's an option they provide, that you can use PPPoE. It's been seen in the past that PPPoE does not work fully with QoS which is something for us to work on. So if it's not necessary I would advise not using PPPoE.

Can you also remind us please what is the issue you're actually having? As I feel we gave you the correct answers towards the beginning. This topic is now 6 pages long and it seems like you're satisfied. So if you can remind us we can resolve this quicker.
Message 139 of 172
schumaku
Guru

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
If PPPoE was absolutely necessary you wouldn't have an internet connection without it through the router. So that tells me that it's an option they provide, that you can use PPPoE.

At the price of double NAT and limited control over up and downstrsam on the XR, terminating the PPPoE session on the modem (in NAT router mode) is the only other option.

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
It's been seen in the past that PPPoE does not work fully with QoS which is something for us to work on. So if it's not necessary I would advise not using PPPoE.

At the end of the day it's yet another interface type - so whats the point here? PPPoE (and to some extent even PPPoA) are still valid and common encapsulations for Internet connection in the world.

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Can you also remind us please what is the issue you're actually having?

The OP talked of lag.

Ref the MTU - you have to run the classic check with ping to discover the packet size possible without fragementtion.

Start a ping test with a ICMP payload size size of 1472 bytes, reduce buffer size by 8 byte (1472-8 = 1464, 1456, 1404, etc.) until you get 0% packet LOSS and no more DF required.

ping -f -l  1472 www.google.com

Example

C:\>ping -f -l 1472 www.google.com

Ping wird ausgeführt für www.google.com [216.58.215.228] mit 1472 Bytes Daten:
Antwort von 172.16.116.1: Paket müsste fragmentiert werden, DF-Flag ist jedoch gesetzt.
Paket müsste fragmentiert werden, DF-Flag ist jedoch gesetzt.
Paket müsste fragmentiert werden, DF-Flag ist jedoch gesetzt.

Ping-Statistik für 216.58.215.228:
Pakete: Gesendet = 3, Empfangen = 1, Verloren = 2
(66% Verlust),
STRG-C
^C
C:\>ping -f -l 1464 www.google.com

Ping wird ausgeführt für www.google.com [216.58.215.228] mit 1464 Bytes Daten:
Antwort von 216.58.215.228: Bytes=64 (gesendet 1464) Zeit=9ms TTL=54
'C

At the point where the DF is no longer required, add 20 for the IP header plus 8 for the ICMP header), so here 1464+20+8 so the optimal Internet interface MTU will be 1492.

Message 140 of 172
Manuellll
Apprentice

I was thinking about getting a fritz box 7590 modem router to put it in modem mode only with my xr500 can you help my internet?

Message 141 of 172
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If your existing modem handles your speeds and doesn't give you any jitter/spikes on an uncongested network then you're probably unlikely to have a better experience with that new modem.
Message 142 of 172
Manuellll
Apprentice

when will the new firmware come out to fix the problems with the high priority of traffic on Fortnite pc?

Message 143 of 172
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Our team are re-optimising Fortnite for traffic prioritization so hopefully that can be done for the next firmware.
Message 144 of 172
Manuellll
Apprentice

ok but more or less there is a release date? it is more than a month that fortnite is in this situation

Message 145 of 172
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

It will roll out with the next firmware update, but we don't have a date for when that will be yet. But there is an easy solution which you can do now. Please do this workaround for now:

1. Go to the Device Manager.

2. Click on your Gaming PC.

3. In the new panel that opens, change the device type to a PlayStation.

4. Go to the Geo-Filter.

5. Delete your PC from the top Geo-Filter panel if you have added it previously.

6. Now add your PC. It should automatically be added with the 'console' service.

7. Decide if you want to use Filtering Mode or Spectating Mode depending on the game you are playing

Message 146 of 172
Manuellll
Apprentice

can you tell me why every now and then when I reboot the modem connected to the modem I lose the internet connection and am forced to restart everything again

Message 147 of 172
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you reboot the modem it's usually a good idea to reboot the router connected to it in order to establish a connection properly.
Message 148 of 172
Manuellll
Apprentice

so should I reboot the modem first then the router? or otherwise? and why it should no longer connect if I just restart the modem

Message 149 of 172
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Restart modem, wait for it to boot up properly (wait 1-2mins), then reboot the router. The modem doesn't negotiate properly with the device that's stayed connected for some reason. Happens a lot with modems.
Message 150 of 172
Discussion stats
  • 171 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7