× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr500 randomly disconnects from wifi

HeidiRQ
Tutor

Xr500 randomly disconnects from wifi

I bought his router about 9 months ago. Most of the time I have no issues. However lately I have been disconnected and reconnected multiple times. I am not a gamer. I wanted a quality wifi for my home network for streaming movies and sports. We will be in the middle of a movie and loose connection. After a while it comes back. But last night it went out twice in one movie! My cable company says it's not them. They show no disruption in months. I am not tech savvy but yes, I've done the hard reboot and checked for firmware updates. I don't know what other setting changes might help me?

Message 1 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Xr500 randomly disconnects from wifi

Sorry to hear you're having this issue, I'd first suggest disabling Smart Connect and manually connecting to 2.4 or 5GHz just in case it was switching between these that caused it to disconnect. Let us know the outcome and we can go from there.
Message 2 of 11
Conscious
Aspirant

so I am not the only one...I feel your fustration I also purchased this router XR500 about 9 months ago same time as you and I'm facing the same exact problem, every time I connect to the wifi it disconnects it self then reconnects it self then disconnects it self on 5ghz but 2ghz seem to work fine for a bit but it also gets disconnects and reconnects from 2-3 times an hour. I hope this is not a hardware issues. Please help!!

Message 3 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear you're having that issue, try my above suggestion if you haven't already. Then use a WiFi analyser to find the least congested channel and change to that in the WiFi Settings. Does it occur on all wireless devices or specific ones?
Message 4 of 11
HeidiRQ
Tutor

I took off smart connect but continue to loose signal. It drops from all devices (computer, phone, tv streaming, etc).
Message 5 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay try the above suggestions regarding channels. Have you changed any Advanced WiFi Settings at all? If you look in the logs in System Information around the time it happens are there any entries?
Message 6 of 11
HeidiRQ
Tutor

I have not changed any wifi settings. Everything is "enabled". The drop happens on both 2.4 and 5.0 at the same time. As for the logs, I can only see what is happening today (not last night when it dropped). I don't know how to see back then. Also I'm frustrated the "device manager" for the Nighthawk Ap does not work on my iOS phone. I've got everything current and did a reboot but the ap does not fully function. I have to login on my computer to use all the functions. I've read in this community that many others have had that problem too. Back to the dropping issue...should I changed something on my wifi settings?

Message 7 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Give the devices that are dropping connection a static/reserved IP in LAN Settings, use the IP they're already getting and then reboot the router and see if they disconnect again.
Message 8 of 11
HeidiRQ
Tutor

So far this seems to have worked. I will continue to monitor. Thank you.
Message 9 of 11
HeidiRQ
Tutor

Nevermind...it just failed.  The router just disconnected and rebooted. 

Message 10 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you try setting up a guest wifi please and see if it disconnects when connecting to that please? Have you got the router connected to a power extender? If so connect directly into a wall outlet and see if that prevents it from rebooting on its own.
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7