× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xr500 setup for ps4...lag packet loss

Xr500 setup for ps4...lag packet loss

Hey guys,

So I have a xr500 so I setup it up with a ps4 and other device...now I play lot of COD MW....but I have QOS on And Geo Filter...but I still lag. Idk why...can someone tell what I am doing wrong.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd recommend you take a look through our optimal settings guide first and then if you're still having issues let us know: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646
Message 2 of 19

Thanks....but I have looked at all these yesterday and few.weeks ago...I have tried everything. When resetting and redoing everything.
Message 3 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the average ping you're getting as shown by the Geo-Filter and what settings are you using currently?
Message 4 of 19

In the game i am getting around 30-70ms. somewhere around there. But its not the ping, like i have low ping but for some reason i have packetloss..and in some case i see there is no packet loss and its low ping but I see the its skipping frames.

Here are setting pictures:

Message 5 of 19

Message 6 of 19

Message 7 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The settings are fine, it sounds to me like the servers are under load, this has been quite common since the COVID-19 outbreak, a lot more people are home gaming which is causing strain on the networks. Various services are throttling connections.
Message 8 of 19

I just thought it was weird, because none of my friends were lagging.

So i dont know.

Thanks tho

Message 9 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is your exact physical setup? E.g. ISP hub (devices connected via WiFi) > XR (wired devices)
Message 10 of 19

Router/modem(dhcp off) to xr500 (everything connected to this with a switch and ps4 connected directly to xr500) and for wifi I velop set up due to range.
Message 11 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your setup so it's either ISP issues or game issues due to COVID as far as I can tell.
Message 12 of 19

Yea, I dont know...even right now I tried to play and i had crazy packet loss...I looked at the download speed and im getting like 900mpbs to the router...so i dont know.

Message 13 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd suggest following this guide to see if you have an ISP issue: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping
Message 14 of 19

Here is what i got

Message 15 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That was direct to the modem? Were any other devices being used at the time?
Message 16 of 19

just a tv over the internet. Thats it.

Message 17 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It would be better to have nothing using the internet but it does indicate that you may have some packet loss on your line. Repeat the test with nothing using the internet and direct to the modem. If you get a similar graph with red bars then you'll need to contact the ISP to see if they can sort it.
Message 18 of 19

Thanks, 

I figured out the problem, since i have a cable connection from ISP and its shared within the area. I had to set my download and upload speed to half and then have the anti bufferbloat to 70%. And now it works alot better. since has lag here and there but alot better.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7