× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xr500

P44EFC
Apprentice

Xr500

Hi there,

Can anyone help me with what the best qos and bufferbloat settings I have 48 down 19 up, mainly for the PS4 and a few other devices like phones and tv but nothing major.

Can see that 70% is reccomended on both but with my downloads being quite low is this not limiting the amount to play with?

also on the pie chart where i can dedicate the percentage of download and upload what should i set the PS4 at?

finding that having it said to never for bufferbloat is giving me smoother gameplay but this defeats the object of the feature.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 43
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi there - I would recommend 70%  / 70% for those speeds, and set to 'High Priority Traffic Detected' Mode so it only kicks in when you're playing games.

For Bandwidth Allocation, the PS4 shouldn't need anything more than 30%, but you can give it 100% if you like. So long as Share Excess is enabled, it will automatically reallocate bandwidth to any device that needs it when it's not required by the original device.

See this guide for more info: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos-...

Message 2 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

Jack, 

thanks for the quick reply, so the bandwith allocation if i set to 100% and share excess like the bufferbloat settings only kicks in when playing games is that right?

Also i have business BT braodband and have the option to get a static ip from them, would you reccomend i use that and setup on my XR500 in the settings?

my line has the potential to get 74 download so thinking i may get slight better speeds on static possibly.

if you could give me your opinion on having a statis ip that would be great.

Message 3 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Well sort of, whatever allocation you set would be allocated from the 100% of your bandwidth. When you then game it will allocate the set percentage based on the new total bandwidth you've set on Anti-Bufferbloat.

Not sure if you'd get better speeds that way but a lot of people avoid static IPs if possible from ISPs due to the fact if someone has your IP then you could not change it if they decide to DDoS you for example. If dynamic then a reboot would resolve it.
Message 4 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

If there is only me using bandwith on the PS4 say late at night when everyone is asleep would disabling the QOS benefit me or not?

Obviously if there was congestion from other users then the QOS would do it's job but as it is not needed im thinking i can leave off.

Reason i ask is because when i turn the QOS off i get better speeds when i do speed tests compared to when it is turned on.

Message 5 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Speed doesn't matter in relation to gaming as it uses very little bandwidth but yes of course you could disable that when it's late.
Message 6 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

Ok thankyou for such a quick response, i must say the level of customer service from you guys is second to none keep up the good work, to answer questions from complete idiots like me all day takes some credit bravo!

While i have you on i would be interested to know your thoughts on another query.

I play Pro Evolution Soccer 2019 and unfortunately i get lag hence why i bought the XR500, after setting up i still get lag and i presume it is likely the Konami servers as other games appear fine.

My question is how would you go about the geo filter settings, currently i am set to uk with 450 mile radius with strict mode on.

notice the XR500 doing it's job i can see when looking for a game it often goes to south america and then they vanish which is great, need to keep a more local game than that especially on P2P which i believe this is.

When on the geo filter it shows a symbol in Japan which is Konami, do i need to allow that or just leave it to do its thing, just worried it may be having issues connecting as i have set my radius to not accept outsiders.

Also am i best leaving strict mode on or not? i'll be honest i have only ever had it on thus far.

Any advice would be welcomed as i love the game but slow response times kill it for me.

Message 7 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You're very welcome! No stupid questions here 🙂

I believe there is actually a PES profile on the Geo-Filter that you can try. If the settings for that are too large I generally recommend 650miles, keep strict on.

The Konami server in Japan could infact be an authentication server so add it to your allow list and then see if you start finding games easier/quicker within your radius. If not then just remove it from the allow list.
Message 8 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

Ok i will look out for that then.

Anything else you can suggest playing around with for improvements stability wise?

I pretty much have this set up as is from factory settings i haven't changed anthing other than turn off media and that tivo thing after it was reccomended, my internet setup is PPOE if that helps, 49 down 18 up, have only a handful of devices, upnp and dhcp all active which is how they are from the off i believe.

Only thing i can think of trying is to go to lan and reserve static ip for ps4 perhaps?

anything else you can think off just give me a shout i am all ears!

Message 9 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You could set static IP for the console, no harm in doing that. Could then put it in the DMZ in WAN Setup for an Open NAT.

On QoS I would recommend putting Anti-Bufferbloat to 'Always' or 'When High Priority Traffic Detected' with then Download/Upload sliders both at 70% and keep DumaOS Classified Games enabled under Traffic Prioritization
Message 10 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

ok thanks i will do that tonight...

I know how to setup the static IP by going into LAN settings and adding ps4 by having the mac address.

Not sure on putting into DMZ can you walk me through that please once in wan setup.

Do i need to turn any settings off such as upnp/dhcp after that.

Is it not already an open nat as it is showing as nat type 2 at the moment.

Message 11 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You just put the IP you set for the PS4 into the DMZ section on WAN Setup thats it. You can leave those other options as they are. Yes NAT Type 2 is open
Message 12 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

Ok an update I made the PS4 static on router and added into DMZ, gameplay wise it did not feel improved slightly worse I’d anything but that is probably as I say down to Konami and pes is not great in this department many people complain of lag.

I have included a screen shot with a few settings are these correct?

Disable igmp proxying ticked? Can see the support Bt igmp proxying is greyed out and I have bt if that’s anything to go off.

Nat filtering is secured and not open and disable sip alg is unticked.

This is all set from factory settings and I haven’t touched.

Getting nat type 2 after setting static and putting into dmz which is the same as before.

Let me know your thoughts thanks
Message 13 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

Also forgot to mention that one thing that i find perculiar is when on the PS4 and i try to do a speed test or dsl reports it shows my download but upload always fails!

was the same when i set up the router on the wizard it finds my speeds at 48 but i have to manually input the download part as it just wont sync together, could this be causing me lag as it seems the upload does not work properly on my ps4.

was thinking it was just that the ps4 browser was inadequate for tests but again i am not sure.

Message 14 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

Hi guys!

Any chance of an update on the two messages above please my friend?

Message 15 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

Fraser where have you gone bro?

need you to help answers on the mesages 13 and 14 above.

Message 16 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll comment and you can see if anything helps until Fraser comes back.

You don't need to put the PS in the DMZ, as it's not recommended for gaming. 

The best configuration would be to just enable uPnP, disable any Port Forwarding configurations. Set a IP address reservation for the PS game console. 

If your the only one gaming while online and if nobody else is needing bandwidth, you can set both sliders to 99%. If others are streaming or using internet bandwith, then try the sliders at the recommended 70% so your not starving others who need some bandwidth. I game late evening to late night so I keep my silders at 99%. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

@P44EFC wrote:

Hi there,

Can anyone help me with what the best qos and bufferbloat settings I have 48 down 19 up, mainly for the PS4 and a few other devices like phones and tv but nothing major.

Can see that 70% is reccomended on both but with my downloads being quite low is this not limiting the amount to play with?

also on the pie chart where i can dedicate the percentage of download and upload what should i set the PS4 at?

finding that having it said to never for bufferbloat is giving me smoother gameplay but this defeats the object of the feature.

Message 17 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

Thanks for jumping in on this,

I have BT infinity 2 broadband so i picked up an openreach modem off ebay to go with the XR500, heard that is a good one and was very cheap, if you think another would be better let me know.

I will take the ps4 out of DMZ then as to be fair it hasn't been great since i did that.

One thing i have changed after seeking advice is contact my ISP and got them to take the interleaving off my line, was informed that for gaming it was better to have the latency as fast path and as of yesterday since the switch over it has been more responsive.

A little early to presume it has completely improved but early signs are good.

could you look into my question in message 13 i have a scren shot and was asking if that was all correct, obviously i will untick the dmz part tonight but what about the other options especially the BT IGMP proxying should i use that being with BT?

Message 18 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this modem have a built in router or is it just a modem? There a model# on this modem? 

I don't know if #13 or have any exeprience with that. I presume it's a ON or OFF feature and I would start by Disabling this feature and test gaming and any other items you may be using thru the router. I believe this may deal with specific BT communications when you may not need. So try it with out first. If you notice something not working correctly with your services, then try it enabled. It should effect any game though. 

Message 19 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

Reading into the support BT IGMP proxying i think it is to do with BT TV so i dont think it is needed for me i will leave it on the default setting.

So just to confirm the boxes i need to leave are as follows.

disable port scan and dos protection (unticked)

Default DMZ server (unticked)

respond to ping on internet port (unticked)

Disable IGMP (ticked)

Nat filtering (secured)

Disable SIP ALG (unticked)

the modem is just that a modem only, not sure on the model it is the white openreach one that BT used to provide.

Message 20 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Everything looks ok. You could try disabling Port Scan and DOS proctection. I have tried this on occasion to see if anything changes. I haven't been effected by these kinds of attacks though. Just something to try. 

NAT Filter can be set to OPEN if you have more than one gaming console or PC online at the same time. I have two and need this option set to OPEN. It changes the way uPnP handles port usaged for two or more game devices getting OPEN NAT in some games while gaming at the same time. 

Ok, making sure the modem is a modem only. Modems with routers built in bring other problems. 

Message 21 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

Cheers mate!

Just the one console so sounds like secured is the way to go for me.

I’ll give disabling the port scan and dos protection a go then, does this have the potential to smoothen gameplay you think by doing so?

Appreciate your advice being a complete novice.
Message 22 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Anything maybe possible at this point. Over all gaming should be good. You can re-enable any of these settings after testing if you think nothing has changed. 

I would so set up the sliders for 99% and test to see how gaming does. Then you can gradually test with sliding the siders to a lower setting if you need. 

Message 23 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

Can anybody help me with the port triggering I want to see if that helps improve things.

I need advice for pes 2019 the ports are below

TCP 1935, 3478 - 3480
UDP 3074, 3478 - 3479, 5740

So firstly I have static up setup for PS4

In port triggering I add service, starting with the first TCP I create a service name, leave service user to any and change the service type and connection type to TCP as opposed to TCP/UDP or just UDP

With it being a single number make the starting and ending point the same number in this instance 1935 is that correct?

For the next option that is two numbers what do I need to do here? I’m speaking about the TCP port 3478-3480 do i separate the numbers and make the first the starting point and the second number do I input that as the ending point?

Also what input do I need for the triggering port is it the double number or not?

I anyone could shed some light on this and if this is the same for the UDP port numbers then that would be great.

I have it that from the numbers above I need to create 5 sets of port triggering options.

Thanks.
Message 24 of 43
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi there - generally Port Forwarding is better than Port Triggering for gaming because it will continue to port foward indefinitely. At least, it shouldn't make a difference choosing one over the other.

If you're not sure if the packets are TCP or UDP (usually games are UDP), then put both down. It shouldn't do any harm.

If you're doing a range then put the hyphen in ('-') and it will port forward/trigger for all the numbers in between it e.g. 1024-1026 will forward 1024,1025 and 1026

Hope that answers your questions

Message 25 of 43
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7