× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr500

P44EFC
Apprentice

Re: Xr500

Ok perfect I’ll give that a try instead then.

Out of interest should I turn off upnp if I’m giving this a try?

Heard having both portforwarding and upnp could cause a conflict.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 26 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It could but UPnP should be intelligent enough to use different ports so first leave it enabled then if it's not working you could disable and try again
Message 27 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

Ok I’ll try both on and off then and see how it performs.

Lastly can you give me your opinion on putting the PS4 into dmz on the xr500?

Don’t want to cause conflict by having upnp, port forwarding and dmz on aswell.

If I was to give port forwarding a try what would you say would be the done thing for dmz of PS4 yes or no?
Message 28 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would say that putting your PS4 in the DMZ should almost certainly give you an Open NAT. If you're going to use DMZ I wouldn't advise doing port forwarding as well. Limit the possible conflicts as much as possible, although not ideal leave UPnP while using DMZ so it can open ports for other devices. If you get any conflicts you could disable it but should be fine
Message 29 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

Noticed on the upnp port table the only port I ever see is port 11210 which is attached to my PS4 static ip

Should it not show other ports when I’m in a certain game or loading up the PS4 for example?

Tried pretty much all variations on all sorts of settings and I’m getting chronic lag on the game I play pro evolution soccer 2019.

Starting to lose faith now and when I speak to others they aren’t so I’m at a loss.

Message 30 of 43
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Do you also have a DMZ or many port forwarding rules enabled on your router? As that would explain why UPNP is not populating more. Also UPNP only shows ports currently being forwarded, so the best time to look would be when you're playing a game.

As for lag, the cause is probably elsewhere. Usually congestion on your network or distance from you to the other player, but sometimes it can be a problem with your line.

I recommend you do a test on your line to make sure it's stable. See this guide for how to do this: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/

Also double check you have your XR500 QoS and Geo-Filter setup optimally: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

Message 31 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

Yes no doubt the lag is likely the other person so I don’t put it all down to the xr500.

As for port forwarding yes I recently have been trying to forward the ports for pro evo 2019 but same results online with connection.

There is no dmz set at the moment I have tried that before.

None of the ports im forwarding show on the map it’s onlt this 11210 which I didn’t set.

Tried turning off then re applying but it just comes back to that one even when I’m in a game.

Line is stable, it is pppoe if that makes a difference.

My set up is bt infinity 2 with 64 up and 19 down it is very stable.

Have a modem only from the wall and then the xr500 after the modem.

The modem is the Openreach hg612 which I’m wondering if that is causing an issue perhaps.

I’m not tech savvy but maybe upnp is active on that and it’s confkicting with xr500 upnp I don’t know.

The thing is as it’s a modem only I have no idea how to play with HG612 settings, picked it up off eBay.

Your advice would be welcomed as I have optimised the qos and messed with geo filer, tried forward ports and dmz but still it is not as smooth as my basic BT smart hub.

There must be something I’m missing.
Message 32 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As it's a modem it won't have UPnP enabled and if you're able to access its interface it will most likely just show you with stats with minimal options to change. Although I just looked online and it does have some firewall options so is worth looking at that definitely. Should be able to access via 192.168.1.1 That may be the only port thats needed if that's all thats showing. Does the game have a NAT reading at all? Is the console itself open? Whats your average ping to the game?
Message 33 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

Game doesn’t have a nat reading, the PS4 has a nat type 2 and my base ping is 18ms I cannot check the in game ping.

Think I’m going to cancel the port forwarding and just go with putting the PS4 back into the xr500 dmz and see how that goes, I’ll leave upnp on but as I say the map just doesn’t show anything other than the port we discussed.
Message 34 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay sounds good, let us know how you get on with that. The game ping will likely be at least 35 in that case then but you should be able to see it on the Geo-Filter.
Message 35 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

hi again,

Can you help me make sense of this and if this is working as it should as to me it doesn't appear correct.

Im refering to the upnp port map when i load up the game i play i only ever get one port on display which is '11210' it never opens any other.

i have tried resetting and it goes away then comes back again when i load the game up.

one thing i found strange was when i had to play the game through wifi one evening i did a check and it opened a different port to the one above.

my question to you is should the port map be showing more than just the one port when in a game and why would the same game open a completely different port for wifi?

i am getting really bad lag and starting to think there is an issue with the xr500 as it is not performing aswell as even the basic bt hub does.

i have optimized everything as advised, tried a variety of settings from putting the ps4 into dmz to port forwarding but still getting a hit and miss experience.

my nat is open as i get nat type 2 on ps4 on all of the fixes so that is not an issue.

Message 36 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

UPnP will only open what is required so if you have an open NAT and only one port is showing that is fine. Might be using a different internal port when connected via WiFi hence the difference. Whats your average ping to the game as shown by the Geo-Filter?
Message 37 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

it varies really for example last night i was connected to a player based in france (i am UK) and when i pinged him it was showing 18ms so that appears good to me, however in game it was slow and unresponsive to the point that i had a disadvantage.

I have tried a variety of different settings as i mentioned from dmz of the ps4 to port forwarding i cannot truthfully say there has been a difference.

the only thing i haven't brought into question is the openreach HG612 modem that i am pairing with the xr500, this was picked up off ebay and presume is second hand refurbished, are modems known to carry faults or is that unlikely? 

i have never used the bt smart hub router since i got the xr500 but there is a feature on that allows me to put the xr500 into bridge mode because i have the business BT hub, (bridge mode not possible on residential bt hubs) so i am thinking maybe take away the openreach modem and test the xr500 with the bt hub perhaps?

I know it is not advised using a router/modem and the HG612 is better being a modem only but if it has a fault that might be the fly in the ointment so to speak.

Message 38 of 43
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

You can always try this - I'm not sure if a straight swap out of the openreach modem for the BT Hub will work though, but you can always try it. Before you go changing the Hub to modem mode, I would recommend seeing if you can get Internet through it after connecting it. If you can, then go ahead and try modem mode.

Have you also tried running a line test using PingPlotter? You might have some instability on your line. This guide explains how to do this: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/

Message 39 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

sorry just to confirm when you say check to see if i can get internet through it do you mean connect the smart hub to the xr500 before i put it into modem mode and see if i can get internet through the xr500 or the smart hub?

Message 40 of 43
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Yes - or you could just connect directly to the hub. That way you can see if it has Internet.

Message 41 of 43
P44EFC
Apprentice

well yes i know the hub 100% does have internet as i say i have used it on its own over the last few weeks as i have said above i have switched to just solely using the hub as it was performing better than the xr500, thats what has lead me down the path that it might be a fault on the openreach modem.

so now you know i can get internet should i go ahead and put it into bridge mode? also should i disable any other features such as the wifi, upnp or anything else or does putting in bridge mode disable this stuff regardless?

it might not make a difference and the openreach modem might be the better choice i just want to try all options and eliminate possible issues

Message 42 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You should put it in either modem mode, bridge mode or DMZ in that order according to the available settings. Bridge mode would disable its WiFi and you won't need to worry about any other settings on it. If only DMZ then disable WiFi. Also there is a new update available for the XR500 if you do a manual check on the router, I'd suggest you upgrade to this also.
Message 43 of 43
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7