× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr500

jorisw86
Aspirant

Xr500

hi guys,

my internet service provider upgraded my internet from 500/500 fiber to 600/600.

but my neatgear xr500 router does not go higher then 520 mbit download.

when i connect my pc straight to the modem of the isp i can get up to 680mbit download and upload.

so the speed is there. when i place the modem cable from the wan port of the xr500 to a lan port i also get the 680mbit speeds.

so there is something with the wan port that has a cap or something. anyone has an idea?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
jorisw86
Aspirant

Re: Xr500

installed the new replacement router. and voila i got 638 mbit up and 605 down. with qos off.

so the router was broke it was only 1 year old.

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 26

All Replies
jorisw86
Aspirant

in addition i turnd off qos now i get 550/560 mbit

Message 2 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

There will be some overhead loss when QoS is enabled. Thats expected. 

Message 3 of 26
jorisw86
Aspirant

almost 100 mbit for qos on is a little bs. i have qos off and still dont go around 600.

anyone any ideas on how to get the speeds higher?

Message 4 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

How are you testing the speeds? 

Wired PC with web browser and speed test site? Or speedtest.net app? The app is more accurate.

Be sure to turn off all other devices while speed test to get an accurate result with a wired PC. 

Message 5 of 26
jorisw86
Aspirant

How are you testing the speeds? pc with kable direct connect to the isp modem

Wired PC with web browser and speed test site this gives me 680mbit

when i connect the internet cable from the isp to the 4 port switch on the xr500 i also get the 680mbit. when i put it back in to the wan port im stuck at 550

Message 6 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

QoS off do you mean in Anti-Bufferbloat's 3 line option menu?

Just to clarify ISP hub (internet port) > XR500 (WAN) you're getting slower speeds than ISP hub (internet port) > XR500 (LAN Port)?
Message 7 of 26
jorisw86
Aspirant

QoS off do you mean in Anti-Bufferbloat's 3 line option menu? yes and burger menu and check the qos off button.

Just to clarify ISP hub (internet port) > XR500 (WAN) you're getting slower speeds than ISP hub (internet port) > XR500 (LAN Port) yes.

as soon the cable goes into the wan im maxed at 550 it looks like.

Message 8 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the XR in router mode or AP mode? 

Yes speed should be to spec on the WAN port. If you switch the XR router to AP mode, the speed should be to spec. 

I would factory set up from scratch and walk thru the setup wizard with the WAN port connected to the modem. Don't use the LAN port. Keep a wired connected PC to the LAN port on the XR router. 

Don't enable any QOS or Anti BufferBloat features just yet. After you set up the XR router, speed test with the wired PC. 

@jorisw86 wrote:

QoS off do you mean in Anti-Bufferbloat's 3 line option menu? yes and burger menu and check the qos off button.

Just to clarify ISP hub (internet port) > XR500 (WAN) you're getting slower speeds than ISP hub (internet port) > XR500 (LAN Port) yes.

as soon the cable goes into the wan im maxed at 550 it looks like.

Message 9 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the clarification, would suggest the above also. See what the speed test from the setup wizard says as that's direct from the router rather than going through a device. If it's not correct retry the test and see if it gets closer to what you expect.
Message 10 of 26
jorisw86
Aspirant

the xr500 is in router mode ofcourse since its my router. (the isp box cant do anything)

so a default reset might fix the issue or is this a wild guess?

everything is directly connected to the router by cable no wifi in between.

Message 11 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If there are any conflicting settings causing the issue a factory reset will resolve that much quicker than cross referencing your settings. It's also useful to see what speed the router itself is getting.
Message 12 of 26
jorisw86
Aspirant

did a full factory reset and did everything fresh and new.

yet still stuck on 550/550 mbit while 680/680 is available. (qos off on new setup)

this router just sucks i guess.

Message 13 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did it report that speed in the Setup Wizard? Did you retry the speed test multiple times in the wizard? Did it give any different results?

It's a very specific value it's stuck on. If QoS is disabled and speeds are not being reached then it usually indicates and issue upstream. Check ISP hub and that the XR500 is not being impeded in any way.
Message 14 of 26
jorisw86
Aspirant

wizard kept saying max at 550 so this router is just bad.

Message 15 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As I mentioned if the router with QoS off is not getting the full speeds then it can indicate an issue upstream.

Look under Device Manager Tree View, does it show 1000mbps for the connection?
Message 16 of 26
jorisw86
Aspirant

yes i've set it to 1gbit and qos is fully off.

Message 17 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So device manager says 1000mbps, full duplex?

Could you provide a picture that shows the back of the modem and the XR500 with the ports clearly visible and the ethernet cable connecting them together please. Just want to make sure that we're not missing anything.
Message 18 of 26
jorisw86
Aspirant

i like your guys helping me but im a system engineer for 12 years.

everything is connect and tested the correct why. the wan port of the xr500 is the issue.

Message 19 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd suggest you make a ticket or contact Netgear by phone by signing in here and let them know what you have tried: http://support.netgear.com/
Message 20 of 26
jorisw86
Aspirant

i did almost 3 weeks ago. still 0.0 replies going to call em on monday.

Message 21 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay let us know how you get on!
Message 22 of 26
jorisw86
Aspirant

finally got support on the phone today. they are going to send me a new replacement router.  (had to pay 25 euro) will let you know how the new one work., can take some days.

Message 23 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Glad you're getting a replacement, hopefully this one resolves your issues!
Message 24 of 26
jorisw86
Aspirant

installed the new replacement router. and voila i got 638 mbit up and 605 down. with qos off.

so the router was broke it was only 1 year old.

Message 25 of 26
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7