× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr500

Smyrick2020
Aspirant

Xr500

Hey guys, I recently purchased the xr500 and I was wondering if this router has to run with my isp’s modem router combo? I wasn’t aware before I bought the xr500 that you couldn’t run it by itself. Please help
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Xr500

You're correct in that the XR500 doesn't have an integraded modem.

What modem/router are you currently using? Some can be placed in passthrough/modem only mode. 

Message 2 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As above, you need to connect it to your ISP provided modem/router. Connect them together by using an ethernet cable from LAN port on ISP modem/router connected to the WAN/Internet port on the XR500.
Message 3 of 6
Smyrick2020
Aspirant

I’m currently running an Arris dg3270 cable modem/router combo. My isp said that they are compatible. But I’ve did a little bit of research and I’ve seen people having trouble with their connection dropping when trying to bridge their modem/router combos with another router. So I think I’m just going to buy a modem myself that way nothing like that happens. With that being said is there any speed or certain type of modem I should look at that will have no problem getting my nighthawk to its full potential. Btw I have Suddenlink is my isp and I have gigabit Internet package. Thank you so much for replying
Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Get with the ISP service to see what they support for cable modems then buy accordingly. 

NGs CM1100 or CM1100 are good modems. Arris SB8200 and Motorola MB8600 are other modems as well. 

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Even if you didn't use modem mode you could always use the DMZ instead and disable the WiFi, it would achieve essentially the same.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7