× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr700 disconnects

Gamer_0224
Tutor

Xr700 disconnects

Cm1000 modem, xr700 router, to Xbox. Using vandesail cat 8 Ethernet. 500 mb down 30 mb up speeds on cable internet. Usually get 600-660 down an 32-40 up. Xbox shows 60-74 latency. Was playing last night and router lost signal from modem. Pulled up dumbos on laptop and verified. Tried different cable. Cycled modem. Rebooted router and nothing worked. Router felt warm. About as warm as my arris sb8200 modem I have on a different ip. The fan on this was not turning. Is it thermally controlled or does it run constant? Hooked up my wrt32x router and had connection again. Let the xr700 sit until next day hooked it up and it connected. Firmware was already updated before this happened. I had no internet connection to any devices wired or wireless
Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
Gamer_0224
Tutor

Re: Xr700 disconnects

took out the firmware anbd reloaded it have not had an issue since then.   did my best mtu setting had fragmented files after 1400  mtu  doing the run-cmd- ping yahoo.com -f -l 1400.    then did the +20+8 for a 1428 mtu.  after 1400 mtu had framented which sucks; but that is on my isp.   Thank you for the fan threshold info did not know about it.  set it up where it kicks on here and there.  just so it does not sit idle.  it does work.   BO4 hit detection is still off.  been playing with the anti buffer bloat 70% - 40% no difference).  have geo at 600 mile from me with 15-33 ping.   dsl tests are A with bufferbloat.  Have dove dumaos games checked and unchecked.  qos to xbox is 70% down and up. upgraded cat cable to cat8  26 awg. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 22

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a full factory reset on the XR router and setup from scratch. Walk thru the setup wizard while connected to the CM modem. 

Try the XR router with the SB modem...same thing happen there? 

Message 2 of 22
slompochomp
Guide

I have not had any drops or disconnects doing a Hardware Reset might resolve the issue.
2018-11-13.png

You could also check your modems dBmV levels they should be within -7 to +7.
2018-11-13 (3).png

Btw: you can modify the fan settings. http://routerlogin.net/debug.htm

T(High-H) - This means that when the temperature reaches this thresh hold the fan will kick in at at faster speed 4000rpm
T(High-L) - This means that when the temperature reaches this thresh hold the fan will kick in at at faster speed 3500rpm 
T(Low-H) - This means that when the temperature reaches this thresh hold the fan will kick in at at faster speed 3000rpm
T(Low-L) - This means that when the temperature reaches this lower thresh hold the fan will kick in on the lowest speed 2000rpm

2018-11-13 (2).png
Note: My fan settings are set to always On full because I like to keep it cool and if the fan dies I can always open it up and replace it.

Message 3 of 22
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

If this continues, definitely get in touch with official NETGEAR support as you might have a hardware problem: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 4 of 22
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Gamer_0224 Are you sure that these drops are not occuring due to issues with the Arris SB8200 Cable Modem? Can you post a screenshot of the status and the event log page of your Arris SB8200 so we can see if there is any issues with upstream or downstream signal or issues in the event logs. 

Message 5 of 22
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

Fan won't be turn on until hitting the turn-on threshold. You can enforce to turn it on via a hidden page.

Message 6 of 22
Gamer_0224
Tutor

Screenshot (48).pngScreenshot (49).png

Message 7 of 22
Gamer_0224
Tutor

took out the firmware anbd reloaded it have not had an issue since then.   did my best mtu setting had fragmented files after 1400  mtu  doing the run-cmd- ping yahoo.com -f -l 1400.    then did the +20+8 for a 1428 mtu.  after 1400 mtu had framented which sucks; but that is on my isp.   Thank you for the fan threshold info did not know about it.  set it up where it kicks on here and there.  just so it does not sit idle.  it does work.   BO4 hit detection is still off.  been playing with the anti buffer bloat 70% - 40% no difference).  have geo at 600 mile from me with 15-33 ping.   dsl tests are A with bufferbloat.  Have dove dumaos games checked and unchecked.  qos to xbox is 70% down and up. upgraded cat cable to cat8  26 awg. 

Message 8 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can't see your pictures as they haven't been moderated yet. Great to hear you're not getting that issue anymore. Thats a fantastic ping so will be down to the game at that point.
Message 9 of 22
Gamer_0224
Tutor

yes great ping but still need to get with the isp.   16 channels down and 3 channels up is barely running from my isp but is all they support.   hit detection is still off been reading through forums to resolve this issue.   switched over to my arris sb8200 (from the Netgear cm1000) and wrt3x same issue.   Used the xr700 on the sb8200 and seemed better in b04 on xbox one X.  just do not like the lag comp they implimented in games now.  Seems like it punishes people for good hardware and good ping.  Only thing I see is to throttle your internet to barely nothing.   I remember in the older days hardware and ping you owned.  ethernet cables are 3 feet long.   turn off all devices except console.  fiber is not offred in my area.

Message 10 of 22
phil_wo
Tutor

My router was crashing every 30 minutes on 1.0.1.2. I had to downgrade to 1.0.0.20 to get the router stable. Hoping this issue is resolved with the release of 1.3

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try a factory reset after loading 1.0.1.2 and set up from scratch or what it applied with auto update? 

@phil_wo wrote:

My router was crashing every 30 minutes on 1.0.1.2. I had to downgrade to 1.0.0.20 to get the router stable. Hoping this issue is resolved with the release of 1.3

Message 12 of 22
phil_wo
Tutor

I never factory reset. I upgraded back to 1.0.1.2 to make sure it was the firmware. Should I factory reset on 1.0.1.2?

Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes a factory reset is needed when applying new FW. Something to try and see if the problem continues on that version or not.

@phil_wo wrote:

I never factory reset. I upgraded back to 1.0.1.2 to make sure it was the firmware. Should I factory reset on 1.0.1.2?

Message 14 of 22
phil_wo
Tutor

Just upgraded the firmware, factory reset and set up basic settings. The router began showing errors in the log and losing internet connetion right away. This firmware is bugged. 

Message 15 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. So go back to prior version. This helps verify new FW isn't working right. 

Hopefully NG can get this fixed soon.

@ErnestTheGreat

@phil_wo wrote:

Just upgraded the firmware, factory reset and set up basic settings. The router began showing errors in the log and losing internet connetion right away. This firmware is bugged. 

Message 16 of 22
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@phil_wo In your setup your ISP modem is it provisioned for both IPv6 and IPv4 or IPv6 only or IPv4 only? If it is provisined for dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 does your XR700 have IPv6 enabled? If so are you able to disable the IPv6 on XR700 and test again? If the disconnections still occur I would reach out to Netgear Moderators and see if they have provide you with beta FW to see if it fixes your issue.

Message 17 of 22
phil_wo
Tutor

@ErnestTheGreat wrote:

@phil_wo In your setup your ISP modem is it provisioned for both IPv6 and IPv4 or IPv6 only or IPv4 only? If it is provisined for dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 does your XR700 have IPv6 enabled? If so are you able to disable the IPv6 on XR700 and test again? If the disconnections still occur I would reach out to Netgear Moderators and see if they have provide you with beta FW to see if it fixes your issue.

I do not have IPv6 enabled. I don't believe my ISP is setup for IPv6

Message 18 of 22
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Are the disconnections still occurring Phil or are they stable now?

@Altsai may be able to assist if not.

Message 19 of 22
phil_wo
Tutor

@Netduma_Jack wrote:

Are the disconnections still occurring Phil or are they stable now?

@Altsai may be able to assist if not.

The router is stable on 1.0.0.20. But I would really prefer to be using the latest firmware 

Message 20 of 22
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Ok - @Altsai may be able to help you with this.

Message 21 of 22
Gamer_0224
Tutor

You can always go to ipv6 test and see if your isp has ipv6. Have you tried upnp enabled or disabled. I did a mutha test and best nut I could get without fragmented files is 1400 + the 28 overhead = 1428. Run, cmd, ping yahoo.com -f -l 1400. Then add 28 to what ever you can find with the highest mtu. Then change it in the router lan settings
Message 22 of 22
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7