× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr700 internet drops every couple minutes

Glaek
Tutor

Xr700 internet drops every couple minutes

Just installed yesterday. It updated the firmware automatically. Started to game tonight and it drops my connection for a few seconds every couple minutes. Wired connection. Doesn't happen w/ just modem connected. Didn't happen with my last router. 

Modem log shows "Internet disconnected" followed by "Internet connected" for ~3 seconds every 2-5 minutes.

Do I return to this thing to the store? I mean, $500 for a gaming router that can't game is pretty silly.

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Xr700 internet drops every couple minutes

Hi Glaek, is it just your console that gets disconnected or other wired/wireless devices as well? Are you using a new ethernet cable to connect the router to the modem and tested that it sustains a connection?
Could you also downgrade to the previous firmware please and see if you get the same issue.
Message 2 of 11
Glaek
Tutor

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. This is on my PC. Two cables in use, one is tested and one is the new cable that came with the router. 

I downgraded to 1.0.0.20 now to see if this helps.

Message 3 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay keep us updated please!
Message 4 of 11
Glaek
Tutor

Downgraded to 1.0.0.20 and haven't had the internet drop out at all so far. 

Message 5 of 11
BlessUp
Aspirant

This was happening to me as well. Opened box setup router it detected update from internet updated and then was very laggy, and unresponsive and internet would cut out every few mins or so. Reminded me of Asus first release of the GT series.

This ended up fixing it for me.

Download the same firmware version from Netgear download section and manually upgrade the firmware with the downloaded file. Administration browse click file then hit upload. When that finishes hit Apply.

I updated it twice as the first time it didn't appear to take very clean, but the 2nd time I got the proper response screen after hitting apply. So if you want to be safe manually flash ounce in the current buggy/laggy system, you have going on now. Then let it fully boot and settle and flash one more time.

Now after it boots and settles from the 2nd flash do a factory reset and reconfigure the router settings how you want.

I'm really glad I went through this process because the only reason I purchased this router is out of love for Netduma and always wanted it on some excellent hardware like this XR700. The first install from online firmware upgrade through router detection made the menus feel worse than the DUMAOS beta for R1. I was feeling let down and if stuck in current state would know way keep the router. Now I'm happy the menus are loading much quicker honestly though I'm used to much faster menu response from my existing routers. Its somewhat expected due to the mass amount of features that are running in software but I hope over time will become more fluent and optimized. The functions are operating correctly and no loss of internet connection.

I now have the XR700 setup as Master router with 2 Asus GT-AC5300 in AP mode. So far so good handling 16 wireless IP cameras across 2 acres with zero dead space around our house and shop. Towards the very ends of our property, the 2.4ghz is pretty weak and have to disable roaming to allow the cameras to stay connected. Add this is on top of countless other wireless devices I think our wireless network is being stress tested for sure.

One thing I do notice is the DumaOS on XR700 is missing some features the R1 newest release had like Ping assist, advanced ping stats with some device management layout enhancements.

Are we going to get these options soon for the XR700 and does anyone know if the jitter settings will be added as well?

I would also like to see some more optimizations to allow us to take full control of higher bandwidth connections. I'm on 1gig internet, and I went from 950 megs down consistently even over 5g wifi with 60 megs up at peak. To a max of 535megs down and 40megs up, and I have to disable QOS to achieve this. With standard operating settings to benefit from the NetDuma Features im getting Mid 300 to low 400 meg download and 30 to 40 meg up with no improvement in ping or buffer bloat over the router it replaced.

When I throttle the QoS settings more and cap the connection the latency and bufferbloat improve slightly but not enough to warrant an extra headache it can cause having to constantly tweak settings back and forth from optimal gaming to maximum bandwidth for nongaming operations while still loosing out on almost have our download speeds.

Is there not a way to keep hardware acceleration running strong with QoS active? The biggest thing the Rog router had going for it was the game boost mode that setting alone really helped keep things in check while not eating up a ton of your bandwidth in the process. There is a downside to it as well it would let bandwidth consumption hit peaks causing some slight lurches and or hiccups before making its adjustment when our network was being hammered by multitasking. Netduma straight owns in this department the geo filter alone makes it hardware worth having but that combined with QoS winner winner chicken dinner.

Wow wasn't expecting to rant sorry and I hope this doesn't come off as disrespectful not trying to throw competitor names out there merely making some reasonable comparisons about my usage cases with what I have experience with. My intent is to help in any way improve this product to the absolute best it can be.

I final question if anyone has made it this far through my little novel, I replaced a router with 8 ports as we have our whole house hardwired with 1gig jacks in most of the rooms, so I have 2 cables that no longer have a home. Is it beneficial to purchase a switch and take advantage of the aggregated ports of the XR700 and then plug 4 cables into the switch? Does adding 2 lan connections into a switch allow the switch to disperse 2gigs of bandwidth across its ports vs. one? Is there an advantage or disadvantage to the devices connected to the switch in this setup vs. directly to the router. Pros and cons with this setup vs. using a standard switch utilizing only one LAN port from the router and then connecting 2 to 4 devices to it?

If anyone has experience with this setup and or recommended hardware and configuration, please share.

Message 6 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes those features will come to the XR700.

In regards to your last question I don't think you would see a benefit unless you were transferring a lot of files around your network.

What happens if you set your max speeds in Anti-Bufferbloat settings and lower Anti-Bufferbloat to 70/70?
Message 7 of 11
nwreed
Aspirant

I've got the same model and have the exact same internet disconnection issues every few minutes, downgrading the router firmware slowed down the rate of disconnects but still happens multiple times and hour. Good luck and I hope eventually there's a fix for this.

Message 8 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that, so you've downgraded to the previous firmware but it's still an issue? Have you used static IP addresses to see if that resolves it?
Message 9 of 11
nwreed
Aspirant

Yes - I've downgraded to the previous firmware and have set all my devices to static and am still having the issue. Although downgrading and setting to static did seem to slow down the rate at which it disconnects, but I still haven't made it longer than 45 minutes without all my devices losing connection.

Message 10 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay lets keep the replies to the topic you made, I gave a response there. 45minutes is also oddly specific, would look in the logs and see whats occurring every 45 mins
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7