× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Yahoo and Instagram Won’t Load on iPhones and iPads

ryandhorn
Guide

Yahoo and Instagram Won’t Load on iPhones and iPads

Just got the XR500 and my fiancée said Yahoo wouldn’t load on her iPhone 8. She said she couldn’t update her Instagram feed either. Used my iPhone 8 Plus and an iPad Mini and verified the same. The issue was intermittent on all three devices but could be duplicated 50% of the time. I disabled QoS, no help. I switched back to my old R7000 and it works fine. Other than disable the smart switching feature, defining my internet speed (gigabit) and enabling auto detect IPv6 it’s default. Anyone running into anything like this?
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Killhippie
Prodigy

My geo filter is on no issue getting to yahoo at all on a lowly 55-16 Mbps. Have you tried just rebooting the router? It could be possibly a DNS issue but I can’t see how the router would block those two things.  Is the router on the latest firmware? Have you tried a hard reset using the small recessed  button on the back using a paper clip or similar object and setting up manually. Using cellular bypasses your ISP so also you could try using Google’s DNS Iinstead just to rule that out out. Google DNS are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 14

All Replies
ryandhorn
Guide

One more thing: I ran speedtests during the issues and despite Yahoo and IG not loading, devices were getting over 300mbps down and 50mbps up.
Message 2 of 14
Killhippie
Prodigy

Are you taking about yahoo mail via the web or an app? I dont use instagram but I can access Yahoo mail on my iPhone and all apps have updated fine.

Message 3 of 14
ryandhorn
Guide

Paying for 1gbps down and 50 up, this is Yahoo.com via the web and Insta via the app.
Message 4 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you confirm if other devices such as a laptop can load Yahoo fine?
Do the devices have both data & WiFi enabled at the same time - if so disable data, does it then load correctly?

Also WMM is enabled by default and I assume you're talking about the iPhones etc that are reaching above 300mbps, not wired devices which would be expected behaviour. Either way thats plenty of speed for simple web applications.

Are you using a VPN on the router or set up block sites/services?
Message 5 of 14
ryandhorn
Guide

Data and WiFi are enabled simultaneously (not going to disable cell service every time I go home), but when I disable WiFi and use data it works fine. Same thing with the old Netgear Nighthawk R7000 I’ve got hooked up now, works just fine. Wireless speeds are about the same on the R7000 and the XR500... maybe a 50-100mbps difference in favor of the XR. I’ll double-check Yahoo on my laptop when I get home from work. Also, wired I get 800-900mbps checking via my Apple TV 4K using the Speedtest app. Wirelessly on other devices the 2.4ghz band I get about ~150-200mbps next to the router and on the 5ghz band I get ~300-350 next to the router.
Message 6 of 14
ryandhorn
Guide

Also: No VPN and I agree with you about simple web services, doesn’t make any sense. Why would devices getting 300/50 not be able to load a webpage or refresh Instagram?
Message 7 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

For troubleshooting purposes can you see if disabling data fixes it? Do you have those devices selected in the Geo-Filter by any chance?
Message 8 of 14
ryandhorn
Guide

The iPad doesn’t have data capability. The Geo Filter is on whatever the default settings are. Don’t think that should affect iPhone/iPad traffic?
Message 9 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's the only thing I can think of that would cause blocking. I'd recommend calling the 24/7 Netgear support line and they should be able to help. If you login here you'll find a number to call: http://support.netgear.com/
Message 10 of 14
Killhippie
Prodigy

My geo filter is on no issue getting to yahoo at all on a lowly 55-16 Mbps. Have you tried just rebooting the router? It could be possibly a DNS issue but I can’t see how the router would block those two things.  Is the router on the latest firmware? Have you tried a hard reset using the small recessed  button on the back using a paper clip or similar object and setting up manually. Using cellular bypasses your ISP so also you could try using Google’s DNS Iinstead just to rule that out out. Google DNS are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  

Message 11 of 14
ryandhorn
Guide

I do, they’re separated
Message 12 of 14
Killhippie
Prodigy

If you go into your router and to settings and check for new firmware there is a new version, it might be worth updating and seeing if this helps. The version is 2.2.1.10 I would suggest doing a reset afterwards considering your problems.

Message 13 of 14
ryandhorn
Guide

DNS fixed it, thanks!
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation