× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: can XR500 handle 1gbps from ISP?

adamzimb
Guide

can XR500 handle 1gbps from ISP?

I recently upgrade my internet package to 960+ mbps download and 50 upload. Technician had issues going beyond 330-350 range which was the range of my old package. 

Tech called it in to make sure I was accessed to the new plan or not yet. At the time they messed up and didn't complete the process. They then proceeded again and claim to have completed on their end. After a few minutes (Technifican provided me with new modem, I'm assuming doc 3.1, had to rush to work and could not check) and after rebooting the PC, modem, and nighthawk. Still getting the same speeds.

I'm on the latest firmware when checking via DumaOS dashboard. 

I been trying to look at spec sheets and reviews and some discussions, I might of not of seen the answer in my face but what speeds can the WAN handle? both QoS enabled and disabled. I see gigabit port for WAN/LAN so does that mean i can buy up to 1Gbps package and expect that coming through? at least in speed tests?

My PC has win10 and intel V219 NIC

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes it should be able to handle gigabit speeds. So you're saying with QoS completely disabled in Anti-Bufferbloats settings that you're not reaching those speeds on a wired PC speed test?
Message 2 of 14
adamzimb
Guide

Oh that was a general question of asking still. I just want to ask now if this is capable cause I dont want my ISP to blame the router.

Thanks.
Message 3 of 14
Leebo
Aspirant

Hi I have the same issue , recently upgraded to the 1gig package and I’m only getting 350 ish from the speed tests from this router, had the isp on the phone nd there saying my ont profile has been updated and reset twice but still the same speeds , I have disabled qos and no difference at all , have updated the new speeds in the part where you tell it’s the speed of your internet , but should not matter as all my qos is disabled 

im at a lost now any help 

is it the firmware ?  Any new beta out there to check 

Message 4 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you doing the tests through a wired connection?
Message 5 of 14
Leebo
Aspirant

Yes wired and on the 5g wireless connection and get no faster then 350

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you get 900Mb on wired connect directly with the ISP modem? 

You'll not see 900Mb on 5Ghz wifi or any wifi currently. Most you ever see right now is about 400-500Mb depending upon client HW support. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? 

What is the CPU specs if your PC your using to test with? 

@Leebo wrote:

Yes wired and on the 5g wireless connection and get no faster then 350

Message 7 of 14
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

As e38 said, a good first check is to make sure you are definitely getting full speeds through your modem. If you are then please do each of these steps. Repeat the speedtest each time to see if the step has fixed it:

1. Make sure you have definitely disabled QoS - go to Anti-Bufferbloat's Options Menu by clicking the three lines in the top left of the panel to do this (note: you can re-enable QoS and achieve >1GB speeds, but for troubleshooting it's best to turn off so you can see where the problem is)
  2. See if your modem has an option to put it into 'Bridge Mode' or 'Modem Mode'.
  3. Unlikely to be a problem, but disable IPv6 in your router (>Settings >Advanced Settings >IPv6)
  4. Try switching your Ethernet cables with new ones (Cat5e or better) as you might have a dodgy cable

If it's still not working then I recommend you get in touch with NETGEAR's official support and explain you have tried all of these steps: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 8 of 14
adamzimb
Guide

Guess since I was viewing through mobile I didnt see the 2nd part of your message.

I have it wired via cat6 cable.

I did try to have the modem connect directly to my PC but it didn't work at all lol.

QoS has always been turned off but I will check again
Message 9 of 14
adamzimb
Guide

Today after work I'll do these steps and make one final phone call with ISP customer support then ill get in touch with netgear, thanks
Message 10 of 14
Leebo
Aspirant

I have tried the isps router which is a Technicolor TG589vac v2 with a newly bought cat 6 network cable and still no joy , with the isp router I only get 60 on Speedtest so that’s a lot worse , I have followed the steps and no where near the 900 , so I’m at a loss , my isp profile has changed because I was only on 35 up now it’s 60 so that’s working it’s just the download , there saying it’s been changed over and they will come out to me but if there’s nothing wrong will charge me 185 English pounds and my isp is KCOM don’t know if anyone knows of them 

anyway thanks for the help

Message 11 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're not even getting your full speeds directly connected to the ISP hub then that won't be an XR500 issue as it can only get what its being given by the ISP hub. Do you notice it fluctuates during peak/quiet times. I had KCOM when I was at uni in North of England, they weren't great. Surely they can do a test on their end to determine if you're getting full speeds.
Message 12 of 14
adamzimb
Guide

I did the steps and still get 670-700mbps range.

I went ahead and called my ISP, their response was that 70% is the minimum threshold that everything is good. I jokingly responded saying, "you guys sure like giving me the bare minimum service then...." so i guess i'm getting what i paid for. When i do a netflix speed test i do see it spike to 1gig for a split second then drops down slowly to 760ish.

Thanks for the feedback and response guys. Much appreciated.

Message 13 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That is unfortunate but at least you know there is not anything on your end causing an issue
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7