× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

changing bufferbloat results

SunTzu1990
Aspirant

changing bufferbloat results

Hello guys,

i have a weird issue with my Internet connection or with my Netgear XR500 Router.

when i run multiply test on  dslreports.com i get changing Bufferbloat ratings, sometimes I get an A but mostly a B. 

I have changed the QoS settings on 90% Download and Upload, when i change the setting to 70% on Download and Upload i get the same changing results. 

what can I do to get only an A on Bufferbloat? or is that a problem of my Provider?

here is the result: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/35112983

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: changing bufferbloat results

This link will explain everything & why it's not the best test for bufferbloat: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000075774-can-t-get-an-a-on-dslreports-here-...
Message 2 of 10
pinkfloyd
Tutor

To be honest the speedtest on DSL reports has been broken for a while now and since it is a free site I doubt that the mods will ever get around to fix it. Its a known issues on the dsl froums. 

Message 3 of 10
richbhanover
Guide

A couple points:

1) OP's DSL Reports results show really high latency samples during uploads (Although most are less than 70 msec, two were 477 and 974 msec). That's really high, by any standard.

2) You're correct that the DSL Reports Speed Test is not the best test for bufferbloat. (It's a great first-cut, though.)

3) The researchers who defined bufferbloat use a tool called Flent (www.flent.org). This test is the very definition of measuring the increase in lag/latency during a test. It provides a repeatable test platform that allows you to create accurate graphs of the data, so it's easy to compare your results week to week or with others.

Flent is a bit tricky to set up, but definitely within the capabilities of the readers of this forum.

Message 4 of 10
richbhanover
Guide

@pinkfloyd wrote:

To be honest the speedtest on DSL reports has been broken for a while now and since it is a free site I doubt that the mods will ever get around to fix it. Its a known issues on the dsl froums. 

Do you have links/citations to the issue on the forums? I would like to pass this along to the author of the DSL Reports test. Thanks.

Message 5 of 10
pinkfloyd
Tutor

I will look for the threads on dsl reports

Message 6 of 10
SunTzu1990
Aspirant

Betreff: changing bufferbloat results

Hello,

im have 60Mbit cable internet connection.  I dont know how fast my Upload is..

What can i do to minimize the Upload Spikes? Should i contact my Internet provider?

Message 7 of 10
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

You can find your upload speed by running a est at speedtest.net

As for avoiding spikes, the XR500 QoS will eliminate them completely. Set Anti-Bufferbloat to ‘High Priority Traffic Detected’ and about 70% on both upload and download.

Then allocate bandwidth to your gaming devices on bandwidth allocation and you should be good to go!
Message 8 of 10
SunTzu1990
Aspirant

Thanks for the answer.

speedtest.net says:

Download 60,57 Mbps

Upload 2,76 Mbps

Ping 10 ms

I have already set QoS to 70%.

Message 9 of 10
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Ok, great. Your upload bandwidth is obviously quite low, so Anti-Bufferbloat will really help in preventing lag spikes. If you have it at 70% and 'High Priority Traffic Detected', then you'll be preventing upload lag spikes.

Let us know if you need further help!

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7