× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: double nat xr500 xbox one

alwong26
Aspirant

double nat xr500 xbox one

im having trouble with my nighthawk on my xbox one i keep getting double nat type and once i got to go away now i keep getting strict nat. i just want some help and setting this gaming router up right so i can get the full experience of using it. my isp ATT FIBER 1000G model 5268ac any help will be greatly appreciated 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

You already have a router in front of the XR router. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. 

@alwong26 wrote:

im having trouble with my nighthawk on my xbox one i keep getting double nat type and once i got to go away now i keep getting strict nat. i just want some help and setting this gaming router up right so i can get the full experience of using it. my isp ATT FIBER 1000G model 5268ac any help will be greatly appreciated 

Message 2 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You'll need to put the WAN IP of the XR500 (found in System Information) into the DMZPlus option on the ATT gateway. Then see if you get an open NAT on the console network settings.
Message 3 of 15
alwong26
Aspirant

There’s no DMZplus option or at least I don’t know where to find it

I have a model : 5268acfxn
Message 4 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It will be in the Firewall settings page and you should be able to enter it there. Page 23 of this guide should help you if needed http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/2267100~5694a5d84811c1255c4f12556de77ead/5268AC%20Manual.pdf
Message 5 of 15
alwong26
Aspirant

Ok it was max but I set it to all application
Message 6 of 15
alwong26
Aspirant

Ok thanks it’s open now but for some reason it keeps switching is there anything I can do?
Message 7 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What keeps switching? The WAN IP of the router in System Info or the DMZ itself? If DMZ there should be an apply button then you may have to reboot the gateway. If the IP then if you switch from automatic to manual in the XR internet setup that should keep it the same.
Message 8 of 15
alwong26
Aspirant

Well now it says teredo IP address

Everyday it’s the same thing if it’s not double nat it’s teredo. I’ve put all the open ports on the route and the att modem. This stuff is aggravating. Well how do I fix this now?
Message 9 of 15
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

If you put your console into DMZ, do you get open NAT?

Using this, we can figure out if the problem is coming from the modem or from the router.

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Need to use the DMZ or IP pass thru feature on the ISP modem for the XR router. Remove any port forwarding configurations from the XR router for your game console. Remove any Port Forward configurations on the modem for the XR router. Disable upnp on the modem and ensure uPnP is enabled on the XR router. Set up a IP address Reservation for the XR router ON the modem. Set up a IP address Reservation for the game console on the XR router. 

Hold the power button on the xbox console until the console turns off then release. Power OFF the modem and XR router. Power ON the modem first and let it sync. Then power on the XR router and let it come to ready. Then power On the xbox console. 

Check NAT status. Should be open...

@alwong26 wrote:
Well now it says teredo IP address

Everyday it’s the same thing if it’s not double nat it’s teredo. I’ve put all the open ports on the route and the att modem. This stuff is aggravating. Well how do I fix this now?

Message 11 of 15
alwong26
Aspirant

I honest don’t know how to do that or were to beginning to set up an IP address reservation
Message 12 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Here is a guide on how to do that: https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router

I'd recommend you take a look at what the device IP is already in Device Manager and then just use that IP for the reservation to keep things simple.
Message 13 of 15
alwong26
Aspirant

I know how to do it one the xr, I just don’t know how to do it on the isp modern the pace 5268
Message 14 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Here is the user manual for the gateway, it may give you some more information on how to do this - page 20 https://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/2267100~5694a5d84811c1255c4f12556de77ead/5268AC%20Manual.pdf
Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7