× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

file corruption network drive XR500

WacoJohn
Luminary

file corruption network drive XR500

If someone told me what is happening, I would not believe them.  I have an 8TB drive usb connected to XR500 with the latest firmware.  Been working great for a year or so.  There are (at least) 3 W10 computers Ethernet connected to the drive.  Been working perfectly for a year or so.

I back these machine up regularly to the drive.  I rarely have to do a restore but when I do, it has worked perfectly several times.  I use EaseUS ToDo backup ... purchased version.

A couple of weeks ago, I did have a need to restore to one of the machines.  ToDo errored with a read(?) error.  I shut down ToDo and the machine failed to boot.  Long story short, the machine's C: partition was unallocated.  I had to install W10 from scratch.  Happens every time I try a restore from that drive with ToDo to any machine. 

Since this, I have not tried a Backup ... don't know if it fails or not.

I ejected the drive from the router and did a disk check on it.  No problems.

Copied the backup file(s) from network drive to a local drive.  Tried the restore that way and it worked fine.

Don't know whether the problem is ToDo or the router.  I seriously doubt it is the drive. and I don't suspect a bad cable.  I have no problems copying to or from the networked drive.  As far as I know, only with ToDo (restores?)

Comments, questions, criticisms, suggestions etc are appreciated in advance.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: file corruption network drive XR500

You might be better off making a ticket directly with Netgear as they would have more knowledge of this. Immediate thoughts that come to mind are that it might be consuming too much power if too many devices are trying to connect to it. Is the router plugged directly into a wall outlet or an extender? Does the other USB port give the same issues?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You might be better off making a ticket directly with Netgear as they would have more knowledge of this. Immediate thoughts that come to mind are that it might be consuming too much power if too many devices are trying to connect to it. Is the router plugged directly into a wall outlet or an extender? Does the other USB port give the same issues?
Message 2 of 3
WacoJohn
Luminary

Router plugged into extender.  I will move it to a wall plug.  I get the same problem with drive plugged into either USB port on the router.  I have a Gearhead account.  I will take this to them.  Thank you for your time and advice.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7