× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: images sent from phone are failing and having issues

images sent from phone are failing and having issues

Hi All,

I recently purchased an xr500 router and I've been noticing an issue when sending/receiving pics via text message. When sending, it will stall for awhile and then fail. Sometimes it goes through after multiple reattempts, and sometimes I have to disconnect from the router entirely. Someone sent me a group of pics the other day and it sent me 7 copies over the course of 6 hours. A friend was at my house recently and seemed to be having similar issues on a different model phone (her issue was a text repeat in multiple conversations) so I'm looking at the router as the culprit. I have tested my internet speed and I'm getting the expected numbers (100 down / 6 up) and everything else seems to be working fine. I also do not see these issues when I'm not connected to the router. Does anyone know what could cause this or how to fix it? 

phone model: pixel 3 

friend's phone model: galaxy s10

router model: xr500

Firmware version: V2.3.2.56

Thanks in advance

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 33

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you try disabling MU-MIMO from there please - I'm not sure how new your phones are but might be they don't support it properly.

View solution in original post

Message 30 of 33

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using Smart Connect for WiFi? If so I'd recommend disabling this and try connecting to the 2.4/5GHz band manually. Would also suggest using a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that. See if that helps.
Message 2 of 33

I disabled smart connect and connected to each band separately. They both do the same thing. A pic will send successfully at first (within the first 30sec to 1 minute of connecting) but if you wait, it will begin to stall and fail. 

I checked the network monitor in the router UI and I have very little traffic happening at the time. There are only 2 additional devices connected to the 2.4 GHz and no additional devices connected to the 5 GHz 

Message 3 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In WAN Settings toggle SIP ALG, does that fix it?
Message 4 of 33

I selected the box to disable SIP ALG and I'm still having the same issue

Message 5 of 33

Correction, it might actually be working after disabling SIP ALG. It failed at first but they seem to be going through on my last 2 tests. I'll test it again in the near future 

Message 6 of 33

@Netduma-Fraser  - I just tested again and things seem to be working. Thank you very much for the help/guidance! 

Message 7 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You're very welcome, glad to hear it is working. Thanks for posting an update.
Message 8 of 33

well @Netduma-Fraser  , I didn't want to have to revisit this, but I woke up this morning and sent a pic and it did the same thing again. Any chance you'd have another idea or area to check?

Message 9 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's unfortunate, in the same WAN Settings changed NAT to Open. If it's caused by a port issue then that will resolve it.
Message 10 of 33

Thank you. I'll run several tests with that and report back tomorrow (so I don't jump the gun again 😛 )

Message 11 of 33

Ok, so I tested several times last night and it's still acting up. For example, I sent a pic at 1:20 (that appeared to go through just fine, even though it was received ~20 minues later) and then sent another at 11:00 that failed. I re-sent it and it was received successfully after just minutes but then the recipient got another copy of it at 1am. 

Message 12 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay could you try disabling QoS fully from the Anti-Bufferbloat 3 line option menu please and see if that works?
Message 13 of 33

I'm assuming you're talking about the area shown in the screenshot. It was already set to "never"

Message 14 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No, in the 3 line option menu in the top left of the panel. Click that and then there is a toggle to disable QoS completely.
Message 15 of 33

Ah, I gotcha. I'll make that change and report back 

Message 16 of 33

Sorry for the delay. I disabled QoS completely and the issue is still present.

Additional (possibly pointless) details:

After disabling it, the failure took some time to reproduce (as it has with the previous changes), but I also had to shut off my power for an electrical repair. When going to shut off QoS, I had noticed that the Device Manager wasn't showing all of the connected devices in the house. After completing the repair and booting everything back up, I saw that the Device Manager was showing the correct number of devices and pics were being sent successfully for most of yesterday but started acting up that night (device manager still appears to be fine)

Message 17 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the information. Very strange! Could you switch the router to AP mode please and try then? This will disable DumaOS entirely and therefore let us know whether it is something within DumaOS that needs to be fixed or something for Netgear to look into.
Message 18 of 33

If I change it to AP mode without a primary router in play, won't i lose all network connectivity? 

Message 19 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the XR connected to? A pure modem or a modem/router that provides WiFi?
Message 20 of 33

just a modem (no wifi) 

Message 21 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay yes in that case it wouldn't work. Do you have a spare router you could put in front on the XR to see if it works normally with something else between it and the modem. Also then you could try AP mode if it continues to not work.
Message 22 of 33

unfortunately, i got rid of the previous router once I got this one. I don't have the ability to test AP mode 

I went ahead and reset the router to factory defaults to see if anything would change and I still have the issue. Would you like me to run through all the previously mentioned changes before anything else is done? 

Message 23 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can try but I don't think that would be necessary. Did you try using a WiFi analyzer to find the best channel just in case it is wireless contention?
Message 24 of 33

The WiFi analyzer showed the following results. Throughout the testing, I have tried switching between the two but got the same failures

780Mbps (5GHz)

192Mbps (2.4GHz)

Message 25 of 33
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7