× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

intermittent internet issues at router, nighthawk 450

justindimas
Tutor

intermittent internet issues at router, nighthawk 450

nighthawk XR450, firmware: v2.3.2.56

Im not great with this tech stuff but I have been having intermitten internet issues with this router. I play online games and stream tv. Ive noticed, especially while playing my online game it will start to lag really bad and then it will kick me out of game saying it could not connect with online services, I then immediately go to nighthawk app and test speed and my phone says it cannot connect. I check my internet modem and have internet so I ran a cat 7 cable out to living room and moved the nighthawk out by playstation and did a wired connection. Even with a wired connection it still did the same thing to I unplugged the cat 7 from nighthawk and plugged directly into the playstation and have had zero issues since. This would be ok if i only used the playstation obviously but i still need the wifi for everything else. firmware says its up to date and thats as far as I can get. netgear support wants to **bleep** me for a support contract that I just cant afford at the moment.  PLEASE HELP!!!!

Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: intermittent internet issues at router, nighthawk 450

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Is Smart Connect and Beamforming enabled? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Sliders set for 70/70 on anti buffer bloat settings? 

@justindimas wrote:

nighthawk XR450, firmware: v2.3.2.56

Im not great with this tech stuff but I have been having intermitten internet issues with this router. I play online games and stream tv. Ive noticed, especially while playing my online game it will start to lag really bad and then it will kick me out of game saying it could not connect with online services, I then immediately go to nighthawk app and test speed and my phone says it cannot connect. I check my internet modem and have internet so I ran a cat 7 cable out to living room and moved the nighthawk out by playstation and did a wired connection. Even with a wired connection it still did the same thing to I unplugged the cat 7 from nighthawk and plugged directly into the playstation and have had zero issues since. This would be ok if i only used the playstation obviously but i still need the wifi for everything else. firmware says its up to date and thats as far as I can get. netgear support wants to **bleep** me for a support contract that I just cant afford at the moment.  PLEASE HELP!!!!

Message 2 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When this happens does the internet light on the router go red? Does the connection come back on its own or do you need to reboot?
Message 3 of 16
justindimas
Tutor

I haven't noticed a change in lights other than they start flashing rapidly, eventually connectivity comes back on its own. There was another reply to this and all I can say is that I have zero clue what all the technical stuff means
Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You may need to contact NG support or ask some one like a friend, neighbor or family member to help you out with this who has some technical knowledge or experience. 

Message 5 of 16
justindimas
Tutor

Thank you I appreciate everyone's comments, net gear wants to charge way to much for a tech support subscription. I'll try something different. Thanks to everyone for their time
Message 6 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try downgrading to the .40 firmware found here, and see if that improves it at all: https://kb.netgear.com/000060464/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-40

You will lose some security updates but it should be fine.
Message 7 of 16
justindimas
Tutor

Ok thank you
Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

This would be helpful,

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

I have the XR450 as well, has been a solid router for me, though I use a different wifi system now. 

@justindimas wrote:
Ok thank you

Message 9 of 16
justindimas
Tutor

Centurylink c2100z
Message 10 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Has the downgrade helped at all?
Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Well there one problem, your modme alerady has a build in router and wifi. 

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

@justindimas wrote:
Centurylink c2100z

Message 12 of 16
justindimas
Tutor

I am working on finding someone who can do that, I have literally zero skills or knowledge about these things
Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok.

One suggestion would be to contact the ISP tech support. They have the know how and may be able to help you with this. 

Message 14 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

All you need to do is take the .img file out of the zip file you downloaded - literally open the zip file and then drag the .img file to the desktop. There are then instructions on that page I linked on how to upgrade the router with it.
Message 15 of 16
justindimas
Tutor

Ok, ill give it a shot, i really appreciate it
Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7