× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

mom looking for gaming router - help please!

profe
Initiate

mom looking for gaming router - help please!

Hello!

I'd really appreciate some guidance. My son's PING is way too high for Fortnight on our Lenovo gaming desktop (all-in-one). I am hoping a new router will help solve the problem. He's interested in the XR500 router. 

My question is: what do I do when I get it? Do I need to have more gear in order to make it work? I assume I need Ethernet cords. Would the same apply for XBox? 

I'm pretty clueless, and I would love a little guidance! 

Thank you! 

profe

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: mom looking for gaming router - help please!

We'll need a bit more information:
What ping is he getting?
What is your approximate location (country)?
Does the high ping happen all the time or at specific times such as peak or when people in the home are using the internet at once?

You would follow the quick start guide and go through the setup wizard on the interface. We then have some optimal settings guides for how to set it up for gaming. You should be provided an ethernet cable to connect it to your existing modem/router but may need another to connect the Xbox to it which is better for ping than WiFi.
Message 2 of 5
profe
Initiate

Hi! Thank you for your response! 

His ping ranges from 280-1100. He says it doesn't really matter who else in the house is connected to wifi. 

We are in Massachusetts, USA. 

Any more suggestions would be much appreciated! 

Message 3 of 5
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

A few more questions:

Is your computer currently connected via ethernet or wifi? What broadband speed do you pay for?

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in wifi router here by chance? 

Gaming should be done over a LAN wired connection for best performances and operation.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@profe wrote:

Hello!

I'd really appreciate some guidance. My son's PING is way too high for Fortnight on our Lenovo gaming desktop (all-in-one). I am hoping a new router will help solve the problem. He's interested in the XR500 router. 

My question is: what do I do when I get it? Do I need to have more gear in order to make it work? I assume I need Ethernet cords. Would the same apply for XBox? 

I'm pretty clueless, and I would love a little guidance! 

Thank you! 

profe

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7