× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: night hawk xr500 slow speeds all of the sudden

ajkron
Guide

night hawk xr500 slow speeds all of the sudden

wireless speeds were great then all of the sudden they went down to 30-40.  was getting 300 plus.  when i connect to my modem i can achieve 300plus.  i am on uverse gig service.  i have tried all the suggestions on this forum but issue still unresolved.  any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 30

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You should get 3 months support with them I think.

A possible trick is to give the XR500 the MAC address of your previous router. Sometimes the ISP has trouble negotiating with a new router in which case that fixes it in some cases.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 30

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Message 2 of 30
ajkron
Guide

Thanks for the reply. I'm at work but will get you all the info this evening.
Message 3 of 30
ajkron
Guide

FW  2.3.2.40

Mfr and model# of the ISP modem:  pace 5268

connecting on auto but have tried various channels with no success

roughly 10 wifi neighbors nearby

have 2 unverse tv's hooked up to my uverse modem.  thats the only thing plugged into isp modem due to the fact that it buffers if i plug into nighthawk

Message 4 of 30
ajkron
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

FW  2.3.2.40

Mfr and model# of the ISP modem:  pace 5268

connecting on auto but have tried various channels with no success

roughly 10 wifi neighbors nearby

have 2 unverse tv's hooked up to my uverse modem.  thats the only thing plugged into isp modem due to the fact that it buffers if i plug into nighthawk

Message 5 of 30
ajkron
Guide

this is getting a little frustrating to say the least.  now my router speeds are showing 42 down and 360 down.  any input would be greatly appreciated.

Message 6 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,

Also review this about PACE FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Slow-Wired-WAN-after-2-2-1-210-Upgrade/m-p/1676829#...

Message 7 of 30
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Do you get full speeds into the modem?

Also make sure your QoS settings are optimised for
Max bandwidth speed:
http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000076586-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-maxm...
Message 8 of 30
ajkron
Guide

isp gatway.pngnighthawk router.pngi do goet full speeds on the modem.  i have attached screen shots of my speeds with my modem and router.  rolltide network is my isp modem and rolltide2 is the nighthawk.  i have tried the QoS settings in the link and the results are the same.  i contacted my isp and they told me i am in bridge mode.

Message 9 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Will have to look at your images once they are moderated. Can you take a picture of your QoS page please. Also what speeds do you get when wired to the router?
Message 10 of 30
ajkron
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Will have to look at your images once they are moderated. Can you take a picture of your QoS page please. Also what speeds do you get when wired to the router?

49 down and 179 up 

QOS.png

Message 11 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Still can't see the images at the moment. If you disable QoS in Anti-Bufferbloats options do you get full speeds wired or wireless?
Message 12 of 30
ajkron
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Still can't see the images at the moment. If you disable QoS in Anti-Bufferbloats options do you get full speeds wired or wireless?

i do not.  not sure what happened.  everything was fine one day then i noticed the speed drops.

Message 13 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're not getting full speeds when QoS is completely disabled then it indicates either an issue in Settings/hardware or upstream. Have you got a new cable to connect XR500 to modem?
Message 14 of 30
ajkron
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
If you're not getting full speeds when QoS is completely disabled then it indicates either an issue in Settings/hardware or upstream. Have you got a new cable to connect XR500 to modem?

tried a new cable before i posted my issue here and same results.  anyway you can take a look.  i have team viewer.  

Message 15 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As I say, it doesn't sound like a DumaOS issue so I'd recommend you contact Netgear support directly as they'll be able to help you better.
Message 16 of 30
ajkron
Guide

i appreciate everyone's help but after talking to netgear support they want the charge me a fee to troubeshoot my device eventhough its still under factory warranty.  needless to say i will never buy anything netgear branded again.  i have had many devices troubleshooted under factory warranty with out paying a fee.  that is just bad business!

Message 17 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You should get 3 months support with them I think.

A possible trick is to give the XR500 the MAC address of your previous router. Sometimes the ISP has trouble negotiating with a new router in which case that fixes it in some cases.
Message 18 of 30
ajkron
Guide

tried the mac address trick and when i performed a speed test they were back to normal.  when i tried to perform another speed test i get redirected to this error message

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 11.24.02 AM.png

Message 19 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thats good! I can't see the message as picture hasn't been moderated. What does it say?
Message 20 of 30
ajkron
Guide

Router Behind Router Detected

warning
Error: The Connection Monitor has detected a third party router connected to the 5268AC

If you want to connect additional computers or devices to your network:

Click the Resolve button below to enable the Connection Manager to correct the problem. There may be a delay of up to one minute while the Connection Manager resolves the problem.

Click the Disable button below if you want to continue using your Router behind Router.
WARNING: Many applications may not work in this case.

For detailed information regarding this issue, please click on the link below:

Router / Router Information

Please enter the password here before proceeding:

Message 21 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's really weird, whats your physical setup?
Message 22 of 30
ajkron
Guide

nighthawk plugged into isp gateway.  have my uverse tv's pugged into gateway as thats the only way i can get them to work, then everything else is pugged into the nighthawk.

Message 23 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Was your computer connected to the WiFi of the gateway and connected via ethernet? I assume this message was on Windows rather than Speedtest.net?
Message 24 of 30
ajkron
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Was your computer connected to the WiFi of the gateway and connected via ethernet? I assume this message was on Windows rather than Speedtest.net?

connected to nighthawk via wifi.  i was able to surf with the expeption of going to speedtest.n.t.   

Message 25 of 30
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7