× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: nighthawk ac2600 bandwidth allocation

chrislmao
Follower

nighthawk ac2600 bandwidth allocation

when using bandwidth allocation its not working the way i thought it would! when i set a device to no bandwidth for download or upload when there connection is lan cable they are still getting bandwidth and i want to know why does this mean if i set the device to higher it doesnt matter! if i put no bandwidth i should get no connection correct! so is bandwidth allocation just a joke because it not working as intended ig i need help because this is the main reason i bought whis router to control bandwidth between device because i lag when gaming 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3
That_GamerYT
Apprentice

The bandwidth allocation sliders garuntee that the devices will get those speeds. When you increase the slider on your gaming device, it garuntees that it will get that % of bandwidth based on your internet speed. The reason the other devices are still getting bandwidth is because share excess is enabled by default meaning if your gaming device isn't using all the bandwidth that you garunteed it, the unused bandwidth goes to the other devices. You can disable this by clicking the 3 lines on the left side of the bandwidth allocation, but there's no reason to disable this as it doesn't hurt your gaming devices. The only thing I can think of is your speeds aren't accurate and/or your isp speeds vary a lot.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 2 of 3
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Great answer above!

If you want to completely prevent a device from getting any bandwidth at all, go to the three-line menu in Congestion Control and untick 'Share Excess' for upload and download. If your Congestion Control is set to 'Auto-enable', this will only kick in when priority traffic is detected. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7