× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighthawk xr 500cant make work with ADSL modem

wellbornwinter6
Aspirant

nighthawk xr 500cant make work with ADSL modem

as the title says i cant get my XR500 to work it was waorking before but in a different location with a VDSL connection but i have to move from this location to a new one and now i made the same steps as before i have put my modem on bridge mode connected it to my XR500 gave the XR500 the user & paswword from the ISP but now it doesnt seem to work and i dont know why?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: nighthawk xr 500cant make work with ADSL modem

Have you done a factory reset on the router since being in this location and setting up using the Setup Wizard? If not then please try that.
Message 2 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Be sure to power OFF both ISP modem and XR router after it's configured. Then power On the modem and let it sync, then power ON the XR router after the modem is ready. 

Message 3 of 17
wellbornwinter6
Aspirant

yes i did reset both of the them from the reset button on the back and when it turned on i found that my password and cofiguration still there on the XR500 how weird(stuff like my password for the whole router even the user name and the paswword for internet service) and I did start a new setup wizrd with the new password and user name but nothing the thing is the XR500 is already have taken an IP from the ISP and i can see it and already have taken an DNS  serve from the network autimatically but no internet no site open with me3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Message 4 of 17
wellbornwinter6
Aspirant

yes i did reset both of the them from the reset button on the back and when it turned on i found that my password and cofiguration still there on the XR500 how weird(stuff like my password for the whole router even the user name and the paswword for internet service) and I did start a new setup wizrd with the new password and user name but nothing the thing is the XR500 is already have taken an IP from the ISP and i can see it and already have taken an DNS  serve from the network autimatically but no internet no site open with me1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Message 5 of 17
wellbornwinter6
Aspirant

I have the latest firmware i did an update today and i dont know what is MFR?

Message 6 of 17
wellbornwinter6
Aspirant

here is the other router/modem which i try connect through it56440180_2349766901974311_3770640553247506432_n.jpg

Message 7 of 17
wellbornwinter6
Aspirant

ok i figured out how to do a factory reset through this steps

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your router's network.
  2. Enter www.routerlogin.net. A login window displays.
  3. Enter the router admin user name and password. ...
  4. Select Settings > Administration > Backup Settings.
  5. Click the Erase button.
  6. Select Yes.

and nothing still the same case

Message 8 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We can't see your pictures as they haven't been moderated yet, can you use imgur to upload the images and post the links here?

Mfr means the manufacturer of your ISP hub. What is your exact physical setup?
Message 9 of 17
wellbornwinter6
Aspirant

here is the pics

https://imgur.com/a/ixyPzAM

Message 10 of 17
wellbornwinter6
Aspirant

the rj11 from the oulet in the wall into a splitter into MFR ISR router then an ethernet cable to the XR500 router

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Your modem does have a built in router. 

And this modem is bridged? 

You might try it back in router mode and use the DMZ on the modem for the IP address the XR router gets from the modem in it's DMZ. 

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

To factory reset, I would use the XR routers web page under Backup/Restore/ "ERASE" to factory reset the XR router. 

Message 12 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great suggestions above.

Alternatively are you certain you've selected the correct WAN connection? Factory reset the modem then go straight back to that section. Whatever one is enabled bridge that and select port binding for the LAN port the XR500 into.
Message 13 of 17
wellbornwinter6
Aspirant

as for"And this modem is bridged? "
yes it is 

"You might try it back in router mode"
if i did that the modem wil be in control not the xr500 i guess

its solved now by using my other modem the VDSL router from the previuos location i lived in although my connection is ADSL as told by the ISP i dont know why this happened if anyone knows i would appreciate if he gave me some insight

thanks everyone

Message 14 of 17
wellbornwinter6
Aspirant

as for"And this modem is bridged? "
yes it is 

"You might try it back in router mode"
if i did that the modem wil be in control not the xr500 i guess

its solved now by using my other modem the VDSL router from the previuos location i lived in although my connection is ADSL as told by the ISP i dont know why this happened if anyone knows i would appreciate if he gave me some insight

thanks everyone

Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

If you put the modem in to router mode and used it's DMZ for the XR router, the modem would not be in control.

What are the mfr and model#'s of these modems? 

Does your ISP use MAC adress cloning by chance? 

Message 16 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear it's working, I suspect an issue with the settings you had on the modem, perhaps slightly different in the current location to last.
Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7