× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighthawk xr500 internet drops randomly

El_Siko
Follower

nighthawk xr500 internet drops randomly

hey my internet cuts out randomly like especialy with discord itll randomly disconnect and it does it on my phone ass well, then as discord tries to recconect i try to use web browser it wont load the page then after about a brief couple of seconds everything reconnects and starts working agin, ive narrowed it down to the router settings cause its not the isp nor my pc all my devices get disconnected temporarily

Message 1 of 17
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Re: nighthawk xr500 internet drops randomly

So all devices dropping out?

If all devices, is it just on wireless or do wired devices drop out too?

If you connect to your modem at all times, do you have any drop outs there (it's possible your line is dropping out temporarily)

Message 2 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

@El_Siko wrote:

hey my internet cuts out randomly like especialy with discord itll randomly disconnect and it does it on my phone ass well, then as discord tries to recconect i try to use web browser it wont load the page then after about a brief couple of seconds everything reconnects and starts working agin, ive narrowed it down to the router settings cause its not the isp nor my pc all my devices get disconnected temporarily

Message 3 of 17
necavit
Guide

I'm having this same problem and it happens in apex as well.  If you guys have found the answer could you please let me know.  Also, if there is a link to instructions for step by step for any fixes can you please link those as well thank you.  I have been googling this for 2 weeks.

Message 4 of 17
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

So same questions to you, are the problems over wifi or also over ethernet? Have you tried connecting directly to the modem when the connection drops and seeing if it's dropped there too?

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

@necavit wrote:

I'm having this same problem and it happens in apex as well.  If you guys have found the answer could you please let me know.  Also, if there is a link to instructions for step by step for any fixes can you please link those as well thank you.  I have been googling this for 2 weeks.

Message 6 of 17
necavit
Guide

1. I am running  BGW210-700 router modem combo which ATT put into passthrough mode for me.

2. Hard Wired and Wifi

3. Problem does not persist when directly connected to modem.

4. Currently running the latest firmware but have downgraded it mulstiple times in the past due to forums suggestions.  If there is someone in a forum somewhere telling you to use a different firmware to fix it, I have probably seen it, and tried it.

I am DC'd from discord and apex comes to a standstill as the router tries to reconnect.  This happens every 10 minutes or so.  the problem does persist over wifi, however seeing as it also persists hard wiredI thought perhaps it was a DHCP problem?  I have tried setting a static Ip but that doesn't help.  Setting a manual DNS = 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 in case it was a dns resolve error, that didn't help.  

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 7 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you tried this hotfix firmware? https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28523-new-xr500-hotfix-firmware-for-drop-outs/ if hotfix firmware doesn't help it sounds like it could be a faulty router as I can't specifically think of settings that would cause this repeatedly in such a short space of time
Message 8 of 17
necavit
Guide

Thanks for the reply, I will attempt this and message back once I get home from work in 6 hours.  It should be within warranty I've only had this for like 2 months.  So if this doesn't work I suppose I will send it in for a replacement.

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know. Sounds like an RMA maybe needed. 

@necavit wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I will attempt this and message back once I get home from work in 6 hours.  It should be within warranty I've only had this for like 2 months.  So if this doesn't work I suppose I will send it in for a replacement.

Message 10 of 17
necavit
Guide

So I uploaded this firmware, it seems to be running properly now.  We will see what happens, hopefully it is  fixed! 😄

Message 11 of 17
necavit
Guide

Yeah I lied its still doing it 😞

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ask for an RMA...

Message 13 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Before getting a replacement do a factory reset, it's usually a good idea to do so after an update to ensure there are no legacy issues from the previous firmware.
Message 14 of 17
SKasai
Tutor

I just recently got the XR500 today and experiencing similar problems.

It is happening to both wired and wireless devices, running on the most recent Firmware (V2.3.2.40 - A7Legit).

System log shows nothing, short of the DDOS entries.  Cable modem doesn't show issues on its end either.

My streaming App didn't seem to have a problem, but SSH with activity and my Pixelbook playing a game did blip when there was nothing during the time and I did notice when I was trying to access something on my computer during one of those times, I got no DNS response.  WoW and Discord blipped also.

Message 15 of 17
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Have you tried the hotfix firmware? It's different from the latest firmware, it's like an alternate version to fix this specific issue:

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28523-new-xr500-hotfix-firmware-for-drop-outs/

Message 16 of 17
SKasai
Tutor

@Netduma_Alex wrote:

Have you tried the hotfix firmware? It's different from the latest firmware, it's like an alternate version to fix this specific issue:

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28523-new-xr500-hotfix-firmware-for-drop-outs/

Yup, I found that post after I posted this.  It is is working so far.

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7