× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: nighthawk xr700 gaming router wont connect to external hard drive on readyshare

Viperlocc
Guide

nighthawk xr700 gaming router wont connect to external hard drive on readyshare

This was working without a problem for almost a year now and all of the sudden when I try to connect to the shortcut for the external hard drive through readyshare I get an error saying "The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'plex(READYSHARE) - Shortcut.Ink' refers to is unavailable.  Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the networj resource is availableand then try again".  When I go online and look at my movies in plex the server and all the movies show up without any issues and when I remove the hard drive and put movies on through the computer and then hook it back up to the router plex updates the new movies right away.  

I noticed when the hard drive is removed it gives a different error when I click on the shortcut saying he hard disk is removed and reconnect it.

I logged into the router and everything is checked on that has always been checked on and I also took the latest update hoping that would fix the issue but that as well didnt fix it.  When I goto Folder and click on the network link on the left side it will pop up showing the xr700 where readyshare was and when you click on it then it will just log you into the router.

I am running Windows 10 64bit if anyone is wondering and I also tried to access the readyshare with another computer as well and that failed too.  I am thinking it is something to do with the software on the router since I had this problem before and when I took the newest update at that time it fixed the connection and was working until now.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: nighthawk xr700 gaming router wont connect to external hard drive on readyshare

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. It may be best for you to create a ticket with Netgear directly: http://support.netgear.com/ just to double check though, this was an issue on the previous firmware and this newest firmware which actually included a Plex update as well?
Message 2 of 7
Viperlocc
Guide

thanks for your reply

I had this problem come up on a older firmware and when the next update came out it fixed the issue which was the update I was running that the issue has now come back on.  The new update that I just installed didnt fix the issue this time so not sure myself what is going on.

As for a ticket I have had the router for 1 year now and it has been replaced 1 time already but I believe that they will tell me the warranty is up and there is nothing that they can do which to me is sad for only getting 1 year for a router that we spend $500 on

Message 3 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that, I'd suggest doing a factory reset if you haven't already on the new firmware as that can prevent legacy issues carrying over. Considering the new firmware has a Plex update I would definitely suggest that so it is running that update properly.
Message 4 of 7
fibric
Initiate

Have the same issue since updating to v1.0.1.20.
It doesn't detect my 20TB USB3 drive. I partitioned the drive to 5 4GB drives because I think, I read in some older postings somewhere that the max partition size is/was 4GB. I also deleted 4 of the 5 partitions to check if at least one 4GB partition is detected -- but no luck.
I did a factory reset as well.
My XR700 doesn't detect the drive.
I hear the HDD's spinning up when unplugged and plugging in the USB3 cable, but my drive never shows up again in the ReadySHARE settings page.

My drive is formatted in HFS+ because I used it for wireless Timemachine backups. Now my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro regularly show the information of how many days no backup's done.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 5 of 7
Viperlocc
Guide

I never did get readyshare to work right since the problem began and I know its something with the software of the router because if you goto \\192.168.1.1 it will show my hard drive on my network and I can add my movies to it as well.  Try this and see if it works for you as well until they finally figure out something is wrong with the software and are able to fix it in a future patch 

Message 6 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd definitely suggest making a ticket with Netgear about this as it's their feature so they should have more troubleshooting knowledge on that. Good suggestion above too.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7