× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

not getting full veriszon gigabit speed on nighthawk

Jmat94
Aspirant

not getting full veriszon gigabit speed on nighthawk

So heres a quick run down, i have the gigbit speed plan my router is connected straight to verizon network there is no modem in between. im getting reallt spotty speads with this sometimes its 467 and next its like 200 something. if someone can help that would be awesome

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 31
steinamo
Tutor

Re: not getting full veriszon gigabit speed on nighthawk

I'm having the exact same issue with my fiber connection (US Internet). A tech came out today and his computer was pulling full speeds out of the Jack.
Message 2 of 31
Jmat94
Aspirant

Did you ever get a fix?
Message 3 of 31
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

So if you connect directly to the wall with no modem in between, what are you comparing your speeds against? Do you have another router you can use to see if the same thing happens? I'd like to narrow down wether this is a problem within the router, or a problem on the line.

Message 4 of 31
steinamo
Tutor

The fiber runs into a switch in the basement and there is a jack in the wall. When the tech plugged his laptop directly into the jack he was maxing out. When we plugged in the router he got slow speeds on the wifi. When I run setup on the modem it estimates my internet speed at 400-500 down but I saw his computer hit upwards of 700. Something is wrong with the router.
Message 5 of 31
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Ok well I suppose the first thing is to make sure you're running the latest firmware, which is available here: https://kb.netgear.com/000060464/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-40

Message 6 of 31
steinamo
Tutor

All right, so I'm definitely running the most up to date firmware. I have switched to multiple different channels on the 5ghz band and none have a dramatic result on my wifi speeds. If I plug directly into the router I hit 1000 up/down, but if I'm on wifi anywhere, including right next to the xr500, I'm maxing out at about 250 down and 300 up. I have disable QoS settings and it changed nothing. The router worked just fine two weeks ago and now I get this nonsense. I've tried on two different computers in two different areas of the house. I'm at a loss here. Very frustrating that no one can identify what is causing this.

Message 7 of 31
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Under Settings > Wireless Setup, make sure that Smart Connect is turned off and that the 5GHz network's Mode field is set to the maximum speed. Try connecting to this 5GHz network and see if your speeds improve at all.

I basically want to figure out if this is a problem with only one band or with both. It might also be to do with congested channels. You could use a Wifi Analyzer to figure out if any channels in your house are paticuarily busy, and then set your router to avoid them.

Message 8 of 31
steinamo
Tutor

I've disabled smart connect and checked both bands. The 2.4 maxed out at like 70/90. The 5ghz was a little better at 270/340. When the test first starts, the downloads smash at around 270 and just stick there. When it gets to the upload portion of the test it quickly starts at 1000 right away but then throttles back to the 300-370 range. Both modes are set to their highest available speeds.

Message 9 of 31
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

That's really weird, considering we know for a fact that the router is putting out significantly more bandwidth through ethernet. I mean I suppose I ought to ask the real obvious stuff like "are the antennae attached correctly" and "are they all pointing up" but I assume you'd notice if anything like that was amiss. I'm gonna do some more research on this.

Message 10 of 31
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Apparantly if your connection uses PPPoE, you should enter those details into the modem rather than the router because that can slow down the router a bit. Since you don't have a modem in your set up I guess this won't apply, but I do still wonder if you're using PPPoE or not?

Also I really would reccomend downloading a Wifi Analyzer. There are some good Android apps that can do this. Basically you want to make sure that you're not getting interference from your neighbors wifi.

Also make sure that the SSID of your network is unique, if it's the default one it could clash with a nearby NETGEAR router... Although that's unlikely!

Message 11 of 31
steinamo
Tutor

I have an iPhone so I will bring my work laptop home and use a wifi analyzer. My SSID is unique. My internet doesn't require PPPoE. There is a fiber switch in the basement which runs into a jack in my wall. I plug my router directly into the jack. If I plug my laptop directly into the jack I get 1000 up/down. If I plug my computer into my router when it's in the jack I get 1000 up/down. When I run the setup wizard on the xr500, it estimates my download speed anywhere between 400-600, and upload between 900-1000, yet it clearly provides me with 1000/1000 when I'm plugged in.

Message 12 of 31
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Yeah I don't think Wifi Analyzers work on iPhone because they restrict apps from gathering wifi data more than Android does. If you have any other hardware which can run a wifi analyzer that would be cool.

Message 13 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Most wifi devices will not see anything near 900Mb on speed testing. Depending upon Mfr design and support, most will max out at around 400-600Mb est. If your getting 900Mb thru the router with a wired PC/laptop, then this means the router is working for wired speeds. Wireless speed you'll have to check with the devices Mfr support to see what actual speeds you may get when speed testing over wireless. 

I did forget to mention that if you enable 160Mhz on the XR router, and if you have a wifi device that also support 160Mhz on 5ghz, then it's possible to see 900Mb on wifi speed tests. 

Message 14 of 31
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Fair point, there might be a limitation on the client device rather than the router.

Message 15 of 31
steinamo
Tutor

Appreciated but we're talking about the XR500 here which is extremely capable.
Message 16 of 31
steinamo
Tutor

No the whole setup can accommodate this. I was previously hitting 750+ down on my old gigabit cable internet connection.
Message 17 of 31
steinamo
Tutor

The full setup to my PC is

- Gigabit switch to
- XR500 Nighthawk to
- X4 AC2200 WiFi extender with cat 5 to
- Ethernet port

I'll switch out some cables but even when I unplug the extender and test the wifi standing right next to the XR500 it peaks at 300/400.
Message 18 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

If your using an extender then this will be a bottle neck. You need to test wireless directly with a wireless device, i.e. wireless laptop or mobile phone or a pad. 

Again, speeds will depend upon Mfr design and support for wireless thruput speeds on wifi devices. 

Have you enabled 160Mhz on the XR router? Again using this depends upon having a client device that supports 160Mhz on 5Ghz. 

Message 19 of 31
steinamo
Tutor

XR500 doesn't support 60ghz. Also the extender is not the bottleneck. I've tested a laptop and phone with the extender unplugged while standing right next to the XR500
Message 20 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

You are incorrect about 160Mhz:

• AC2600 (800Mbps @2.4GHz—256QAM
support +1733Mbps @5Ghz 11ac)†
• Simultaneous Dual Band WiFi
- Tx/Rx 4x4 (2.4GHz)+ 4x4 (5GHz)
4x4 11ac 80MHz + 2x2-160/80+80MHz

Message 21 of 31
steinamo
Tutor

Ok I will check that when I get home this evening.
Message 22 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

So to be clear about this, you are getting 900Mb +- with wired LAN PC and your not getting anywhere near 400 to this 700Mb on wifi correct? 

Message 23 of 31
steinamo
Tutor

Correct. Wired via cat5 into the router I hit 975 up/down with no issues. Unplug and try wifi and it ramps up over the course of the test from 250 to about 300. The upload then starts at 700+ but quickly drops to about 400.
Message 24 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

That behavior maybe a loading of the data stream between the router and the wifi device, this maybe a issue at the wifi device though it seems to start at 700Mb however slows to 300/400Mb. The device maybe handling the stream and loading up to 700Mb however as it processed the data stream, it's slowing down to where it maybe correct speeds. Seem you have a false positive condition here. 

Message 25 of 31
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7