× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

open vpn with Xr500 netgear router - setup help

grdmstr75
Aspirant

open vpn with Xr500 netgear router - setup help

Hello, I have been trying to find a free open vpn that i can use to access my home network outside but also use vpn at home to protect the connection line. the router i have is a net-gear xr500 gaming router and there have been some updates as of recently i noticed that we can use a vpn service now instead of a hybrid one which requires subscription. im confused on how to setup Open vpn. I have configured it on the Duma OS router xr500 enabled DDNS service which i use no-ip so that is good and created a hostname on the no ip site. after installing open-vpn to windows 10 pc that i am currently on and hit connect i get this error:

Also how do i connect to my home network from my android phone and also want to setup a ibm laptop i have as well to connect from outside.

are there any tuts for this configuration?

Message 1 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: open vpn with Xr500 netgear router - setup help

The VPN service and HybridVPN are different, the service will allow you to access remotely, HybridVPN with a suitable VPN subscription will provide that protection you mentioned.

I would recommend having a look at page 173 in the manual regarding the VPN service: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XR500/XR500_UM_EN.pdf
Message 2 of 10
grdmstr75
Aspirant

ok thanks that worked for the setup on my android phone i was able to connect to the VPN and use my internet connection from 4g.. however how can i access my internal LAN computers ?  from my phone , how do i access my PC's behind the netgear router what setting do i need to change or update DMZ ?

Message 3 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I don't think that's anything on the router side, you'd need to setup Network Share I believe on a PC and then it might work but I don't think that is the main purpose of it so you might need to try a different solution
Message 4 of 10
grdmstr75
Aspirant

what is the main purpose ??

Message 5 of 10
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

What about them exactly are you looking to access? Their files etc? If so then Fraser's above suggestion will work. The purpose is to access your home network securely from outside of it.

Message 6 of 10
grdmstr75
Aspirant

correct but how do i access other computers behind the router with my android phone after i connect the openvpn app to my home network ?

Message 7 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You would have to use some other kind of software for that, the VPN allows you to connect to the home network but not see devices files etc
Message 8 of 10
grdmstr75
Aspirant

I tried CX file explorer on my phone and selected Local network found nothing. 

Message 9 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You'll have to look for some tutorials online about that, it's beyond our scope
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7